Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Station Inn

So, I found a little, should we say,magical place in Nashville a few months back. My brother took me up (I’m in Huntsville AL)to see Larry Sparks play at the Station Inn. I fell in love with the place from the moment I payed my $15 or $20 walked in and sat, literally fifteen feet away from Larry Sparks. There are no words to fully describe the Station Inn. It’s not much to look at, but a place that is full of bluegrass history and seems to me to have been lost in time. It’s a cozy place where the artists mingle with the fans during breaks and admission is extremely reasonable (compared to what most concerts cost now!). Anyway, I say all that to say that if you haven’t been, find a way to check it out, if possible (and the Hulls, need to find a way to play it!). I know if I didn’t live 100 miles away, have 3 daughters under the age of 3, and a wife that I’d like to keep, I’d be there almost every night!

But I did get the chance to go up again Wednesday night to see Chris Stapleton (formerly of the Steeldrivers) & Friends do a show benefiting tornado victims in Kentucky. It ended up being a songwriters type session with: Stapleton, Ronnie Bowman, Jessi Alexander and husband Jon Randall, JT Hodges, Angaleena Presley from the Pistol Annies, John Scott Sherril, and Larry Cordel, taking turns playing there songs and playing some together. Banjo pickers Rob McCoury and Richard Bailey showed up as did Chris Harris and another mandolin picker. Anyway, the following is a video I shot at the end of the night when they got up and played together. Pretty cool, at least in my opinion!

Sorry I had to link it, couldn’t figure out how to embed the video.

Wow what a hangout. Love to go see that some day. Thanks for sharing.

Cool! The Steeldrivers are playing there June 23rd, that will be a great show!
Beppe Gambetta is there June 26th. He’s great, I’ve seen him a few times at the Walnut Valley Festival.
Thanks tacs5, I’ll have to pick a weekend to go on a road trip!
jim

Station Inn is a nice little place.

Any of you yahoos find yourself in Nashville going to the Station Inn and are staying here for a few days then feel free to let me know and maybe I’ll meet up with you there. Also if you bring your picking instrument I have a 1500 sq ft back patio to do some picking on.

That would be fun, to meet some people from the forum.
I’ll keep that in mind.
jim

— Begin quote from "jiminkansas"

That would be fun, to meet some people from the forum.
I’ll keep that in mind.
jim

— End quote

I have a nice fishing boat also and do a lot of fishing! That is why I post so “late at night”…been sleeping in the evenings and getting out on the lake to start bass fishing around 3 or 4 in the morning and switch over to crappie around 8:00 or so.

All of you guys are more than welcome to hit me up for a tour, fishing trip, or playing some music on my back porch when you come to Nashville…I do have a wife and 3 kids but can get out most any time as I am retired: Hunt, golf, fish, and play guitar are about all I ever get accomplished outside of driving my 3 young kids around to all the “practices and games”.