Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

I don’t know, to be completely honest, it seems to be his hand technique. Sorry Michael. He seems to kinda loses the fluidness in his playing when he speeds up and has to force the pick over the strings. Since it’s not playing smooth, he has to play lightly to get the speed. That might not be but just what it looks like to me.

2 Likes

Yay!!!

3 Likes

How thick is the one you use?

2 Likes

Yep, and that’s what gets on my nerves. He acts like the Blue Chip makes him perfect and I’m like “Umm” And then he criticizes my playing and says it’s my thin pick. My pick isn’t thin though, it’s just not as thick as his. It doesn’t bend when I play.

2 Likes

.73 mm

3 Likes

Hey, if you got the tone you like, then that’s what matters. I would be curious to hear you play blackberry blossom exactly the way you played it in that video just with a good quality thick pick

1 Like

I’ve tried thick picks, I just don’t like the way they feel and it sounds weird.

2 Likes

Tony Rice is a bad role model, we all need to be more like Jake Workman.

2 Likes

Me checking the forum… :joy:

5 Likes

I happen to know that you’re wrong

4 Likes

You happen to think you know everything and you’re wrong at least 95% of the time :joy:

3 Likes

5 Likes

Ok if you guys ever watched Marcel’s video on the tone triangle, you’ll know that Tony suffered from the same volume problem I do, because our playing style is going for tone and speed over volume. Also I’m bad at setting mics and haven’t learned to use my condenser right, that much is true.

If this comes down to it I’ll just meet Mason Crone in person and we’ll see who actually has better tone :joy:

2 Likes

Maybe neither of us do and we just act like big babies over bad mics.

3 Likes

And thick picks REDUCE your pick noise, not add to it. That’s just the truth. Go demo it yourself, and use a proper thick pick not whatever 1mm you have.

6 Likes

This was miked a little bit better

4 Likes

I hear a ton of pick noise with your thick pick. And every time I’ve used a thick pick there was more pick noise than with thin ones.

2 Likes

Every time I’ve used a thin pick there’s been way more pick noise than with my thick pick.

3 Likes

Man, I’d hate to hear that… :joy:

3 Likes

Just kidding. You’re mean to me sometimes so I figure I can be mean back haha.

2 Likes