Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

Ok now we’re talking bluechip. That is a little different, while i may not totally agree, i understand and really respect your point. I believe it is very easy to simply be swept into the crowd, however i also think that the bluechip HAS been a game changer for a lot of people. WHile it wasn’t really that super drstic for me, i still really liked it and it cleaned up me playing a lot and improved my tone. And i think it is kinda true that you have to have a thick pick, especially for good tone. Not thick as a brick, but i’d say a lot under 1mm is kinda thin.

6 Likes

I hate spell check too. @Dragonslayer had to correct an auto spell slip of mine today in the I can’t write poetry thread when I wanted to write onomatopoeia (definition: using words to describe sounds) and it auto corrected to oenomania (definition: an intense desire for wine) :joy: Definitely NOT what I had in mind!

4 Likes

I use picks under 1mm and it sounds fine. Michael has judged it by hearing it through my cheap mic. He uses one of the heavenly thick picks and a lot of times when he plays I hear more pick noise than notes😂

2 Likes

Probably due to his superior mic. So you’re both even.

3 Likes

Ya i’ve noticed that Michael uses very thick picks but does not pick very hard at all, I think he can’t get a lot power because of his Tony Rice hand positioning. It does give a lot of pick noise if you pick so low.

6 Likes

I’m not trying to be braggy or anything, but I truly think I sound pretty good in person. That mic is really bad about thinning out a guitars sound.

1 Like

oh no, of course not.

2 Likes

Haha! Can’t wait for him to see that. Tony Rice was bad Michael…

2 Likes

I would agree that it depends a lot on a mic when exchanging music virtually, especially for us broke teenage musicians. :wink: You can’t really assess someone’s skills until you meet in person.

2 Likes

But my point is, I use thinner picks and I sound fine. So when people insist that I need one twice as thick I just shake my head.

2 Likes

And that’s the point. If you’re happy with your sound and satisfied with what you have, why fix what isn’t broken (and spend insane amounts of money in the process)?

2 Likes

Exactly. Mics don’t add pick noise though. They will thin out the sound. So I guess I’m just a much guitar player than Michael.

1 Like

He’ll go through the roof.

2 Likes

You did it to yourself, good luck defending yourself now!

2 Likes

Hey, listen to him and then listen to me and give your honest opinion of who has better tone.

2 Likes

But i think if you pick powerfully that thick picks simply will give better tone than thin ones. That comes from Jake Workman.

4 Likes

Never heard you flatpick.

1 Like

Okay fine, both of you post something here in this thread that is relatively recent and shows your skill level, and @Shaky_loves_banjo and I will give our expert opinions.

2 Likes

https://youtube.com/shorts/khVNPzLx9cg?feature=share

3 Likes

That isn’t perfect but it’s not any worse than Michael… :joy:

2 Likes