Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

Precisely what I’d have said at your age. But my tastes have changed drastically in the past two years, (party because of exposure to Kenny Smith) so that barely is actually a significant metric.

I would, except I usually wear swim bottoms that cover my entire rear for the sake of modesty

Who are you saying was right?

Yes

There is a saying that youth is wasted on the young, which I have found to be true in my own life at least.
But I disagree, young people like raw talent because it’s flashy and selfish. Taste is saying “yeah, I could sweep pick this entire solo, but would it benefit the entire song?” It’s thinking of the whole more than your own self. It’s choosing not to put chocolate chips in your cinnamon rolls, because it’s just too much.

Oh I just realized you sneakily put words in my mouth. I said taste, you said feeling. Taste is what notes you play, feeling is how you play them.
The ones you mentioned all have feeling, but they choose to play more notes or different notes than I want to hear.
For several of them, they’re trying to see what’s possible. But for me listening, I’m more interested in what’s probable.
Having them as your favorites because of notes per second is what’s typical for your age.
With exception of Noam and Bela, I love listening to the ones you named. But they’re not my favorites, nor would I call them best

Man, now I miss my family…
:musical_note: Ooooohh Deeaaaaaaaaaatthhhhh… :musical_note:

Got em!!

Actually, Eddie is amazing, extremely tasteful, and makes me want to learn saxophone…

I’m not commenting on the rest of y’all’s argument because of the linguistic conflation I pointed out

1 Like

:point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

1 Like

Noam and Bela are my favorites from that group I listed…

You should go be an author and write some of those extremely long books with big words that make no sense😂 I think you’d be good at it.

I love it when people tell me I’m smart as if it’s an insult :joy::joy:

1 Like

Are you attacking long, eloquent books like the Bible?!?!

BOOOM!!

3 Likes

It’s not an insult, I just thought that thought would make people laugh😂

3 Likes

Haha, so funny I forgot to laugh :roll_eyes: You seriously couldn’t come up with anything better?

3 Likes

What!?!?

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Seriously Bro?

Agreed.

Congrats!! Your Welcome.

Very well said.

And you like ROCK MUSIC. What else do you expect.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

How lame am I? Write a long post simply agreeing with what ya’ll say. What am I coming to.

1 Like

I like rock, but I don’t love it. I love bluegrass. Big difference!:wink:

1 Like

I agree. I shook my head and somewhat chuckled wondering how he even came up with that, but it’s not funny.

1 Like

Guitar
Jake Workman
Bryan Sutton
Trey Hensley
Zeb Snyder
Cody Kilby

Mandolin
Sierra Hull
Penny Lea Clark
Darrel Webb
Ricky Skaggs
Doyle Lawson

Banjo
Russ Carson
Jim Mills
Katy Lou Clark
Bela Fleck (When he’s playing with MBH and Tony Rice
Joe Dean

Fiddle
Michael Cleveland
Mike Barnett
Carson Peters
Andy Leftwich
Bronwyn Kieth Hynes (I have no idea if i spelled that right.)

Dobro
Rob Ickes
Jerry Douglas
Andy Hall
Justin Moses
Phil Leadbetter

5 Likes

I was at work and busy, I didn’t have time or the mental space to write a comedy special for you :man_shrugging:t2:
Also based on our previous conversations, I figured that would get a rise out of you :joy::joy:

Learning from the best, I’d say! :wink:

Too much time rummaging around wikipedia, I discovered it has a dark side with some less than homeschool appropriate information.
Don’t ask any more cuz I won’t tell.

He actually lives in the same area as me. I’ve jammed with him a few times, he’s pretty cool

2 Likes

I love his playing, he seems like a cool guy. I love his few songs with Presley Barker. The two look like they’re always having a blast.

2 Likes

Unlikely that I will compile a list as have not viewed enough but do recall as Mandolin Player whose work was more within a group setting but you need these folks as well: Sharon Gilchrist enjoyed her playing

Unfortunately, it did.

:joy::joy::joy: Gunnar, stay out of trouble, would you? I wanna ask so bad… but I digress.

1 Like

Please don’t!! He won’t be able to resist the temptation and who knows what he would start posting!!

2 Likes

Nice!

Guitar

Rice
Smith
Workman
Sutton
Kilby

Banjo

Scruggs
Crowe
Dean
Shelor
Mills
Block
Carson
Seven of em, because Scruggs and Crowe are too obvious

Mandolin

Bibey
Lawson
Bush
Steffey
Leftwich

Fiddle

Leftwich
Hicks
Simpkins
o’Connor
Burwell

Dobro

Flux
Ickes
Swift
Largent
Don’t really know any more

Bass

Phillips
Schatz
Moore
Picker
Bales

Vocals

Rice
Faris
Dailey
Bowman
Tyminski

Bands

TRU
DLQ
BGAB
Balsam Range
DGQ (they count right?)

2 Likes

Who is that even?

1 Like

Forgot about him, love his playing aswell.