Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

I totally get the feeling thing, it’s just rare for music to make me feel anything emotionally.

2 Likes

That could be true. I did see a video where Jake and Bryan swapped guitars once though, and they still sounded overwhelmingly like themselves… But yeah, it doesn’t hurt to be playing an insane 40’s Martin box :joy:

um did i just hear you say that you prefer a new guitar to a prewar martin

2 Likes

I actually used to be more like that too.

2 Likes

Yea Just what we need is to bring in another discussion that we won’t agree on

2 Likes

Hey, that’s literally the purpose of this thread… go for it brother!!

4 Likes

Instruments make very little difference to sound in my opinion. All instruments will sound different in different people’s hands, and nearly all instruments will sound the same in the same person’s hands.

And that’s fine! I enjoy friendly debates.

Once you have like a professional instrument like really good quality that’s somewhat true but comparing instruments I usually hear a big difference even between similar instruments.

2 Likes

Maybe I like new guitars because Jake plays one?!!

No I just think they sound good in modern tight bluegrass that makes you tap your foot. I do really like an old guitar but I’d much rather play one that has a bright punchy sound

4 Likes

Aha, my original hypothesis proven correct!

2 Likes

Well I think you like an old guitar (that you don’t play???) because Tony Rice said something like no new guitars are good, SORRY BUT NOT TRUE!!!
So if what I said about Jake playing a newer guitar was true it’s only fair since you might feel the same way!

It actually has nothing to do with Jake this time I just prefer a modern guitar.

3 Likes

Timothy, Michael, be nice. Don’t we all love Tony?

Sometimes you lie to be a peacemaker.

6 Likes

I tried to say earlier they were both the best in their own rights…

3 Likes

If you heard some good live bands it would! Go hear Ricky Skaggs or Sideline. Not some old video of Tony!

3 Likes

I tried to stay out of this mess of a thread but I’ll chime in just to say my Collings D1 sounds better than any vintage guitar I’ve ever played. And I’ve played a couple 30’s Martins.

5 Likes

I’m kidding haha. I like Tony a ton. I wear my Lessons with Marcel Toe-Knee-Rice shirt all the time. Tony’s bends and blues licks are the gold standard for bluegrass, his slow playing is very emotional and I totally get what Michael means about it moving you. And that’s the thing that makes our favorite players our favorites - the music that moves you.

Some people prefer mellow music on a mellow sounding guitar. Some prefer snappy bluegrass on a brighter guitar. Good tone is not one or the other. Good tone can be either.

I think Jake’s music excites and inspires me in a way no other guitar player’s does and that’s why he’s my favorite. And we should all have our own favorite and never change. That’s the best part of having a favorite. Don’t let anybody else sway you!

5 Likes

TBH, I like old guitars because old guitars are sweet and awesome, and I find the history of instruments super interesting, and I’ve heard several that knocked my socks off and I just find it super cool. I’ve played a Collings that I preferred to vintage Martins before too, but those old guitars can be really inconsistent and I get that, so definitely play whatever guitar connects with you. It’s like mahogany v rosewood. After all, being nerdy about what guitars you like is like half the fun of calling yourself a guitar player!

Libby hit the nail on the head, and I also hereby challenge her to design a rebus of Work Man and send it to Marcel.

5 Likes

Since you asked, Mahogany. :laughing:

4 Likes

Fist bump!

3 Likes

And for once no one can say that I just like it cause Tony did it!!

Oh wait, Tony’s first guitar was a D-18. rrrgh

5 Likes