Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

Whatever, sure.

There IS a difference between mistakes and rawness, and I was more talking about rawness, but I actually do kinda like to hear my fave player make a mistake every once in a while. There I said it :joy:

1 Like

Oh, I get that. There was a video of Bela playing Vertigo, and he fumbled like 4 notes in the second run through the intro part, and I was like “OOOOHHH!!” :joy: Skipped it back and showed it to my sister and everything!

3 Likes

I’ll be honest, I don’t really get that. To me you’re pretty much saying that Jake is too good to be true and you like typical players better. I think too good to be true is what everyone is going for, 99% of people just don’t make it there.

3 Likes

Well not exactly typical players, guys like Tony or Kenny are far from typical. It seems like Tony plays so cliche looking back now, but no one had ever played Tony Rice licks before Tony Rice. :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah, they’re good, Jake is insane. And it’s very rare that I see a truly insane musician.

3 Likes

I saw a video where Noam Pikelny accidentally hooked his thumb pick on the 4th string and it let out that loud unwelcome note. I was like “so it happens to him too😎”

1 Like

[quote=“Michael_Mark, post:500, topic:16857, full:true”

[/quote]

Ok here’s practically the only thing that I could say I don’t like about Jake’s picking: It kinda sounds too perfect for my personal taste. Literally every note he plays is not sloppy, and he basically has no speed limit.

That kind of playing, combined with unique left hand decisions, is the kind that wins contests. Like this, for instance:

I’m pretty sure that’s an example of what Timothy had in mind regarding the variety in Jake’s playing. Arpeggios, scale runs, string crossings, all executed perfectly!! He’s a freak of nature.
[/quote]

Well I’d certainly have to agree with that!

2 Likes

Jake, Andy Leftwich, Sierra Hull, Noam Pikelny are great examples of the outta this world musicians, yeah.

I really like Russ Carson’s playing, because it’s technically perfect, but the raw down-to-earthness is really there too.

3 Likes

Yes, for sure. It’s mostly the improv that impresses me, honestly. Most stuff can be played if enough time is put into it, but just doing it on the fly is crazy.

1 Like

[quote=“Michael_Mark, post:500, topic:16857, full:true”].

And you know what??
He didn’t. He was aware that he is not there to shine, even though he’s Tony Rice and the pioneer of modern acoustic flatpicking.

[/quote]

And maybe he couldn’t! :joy:

1 Like

Oh yeah, Russ is solid.

Could too!

Then why didn’t he?

Didn’t you read the post?!?!!?!?

Tony makes me feel stuff ok??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

3 Likes

So he was afraid that he would sound perfect? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Okay. I guess you have some high tech connection I don’t have. Because fast musicians make me say “wow!” And they inspire me to get better. Slower ones are just “ehh” and I feel nothing, usually :joy:

1 Like

It might sound like a funny excuse but I’m regards to what you said about Bryan sounding like a piece of wood, he almost always plays a vintage Martin guitar which of course has a more mellow tone. Jake (and I) prefers the sound of a newer brighter guitar. I know it’s not all the guitar and the way they both hold their pick and fingers and where they do makes a huge difference too.

4 Likes

No, in a lot of cases he did sound perfect, and didn’t miss a note, but a lot of times he chose to play those simpler Tony Rice licks because they would serve the song better than him going all out.

1 Like

Bryan’s guitar is old as dirt. I guess he likes it.

2 Likes