Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

Eww, Discord.

Loren ducks to avoid the flying projectiles

Each to their own, I guess.

Ok what is your preferred instant messaging group chat? Linux nerd…

[Matrix].

Nice

Matrix is basically designed so that there’s no central server or app, and it’s extensible, so you can build all sorts of web things on top of it. Furthermore, it’s bridgeable, so you could host a server and then have your Telegram, Discord, etc. chats in your Matrix client.

So what exactly do you have against Discord…

Well… it’s basically aimed at gamers, which I am not. Furthermore, it hides things behind a paywall. I don’t want to have to pay for custom emojis or animated profile pictures. You get the point.

Yeah, I get that. I don’t really care about the Nitro stuff though. What really bugs me is the maximum file size upload limit.

Didn’t realize that until now, but yeah, 8MB is way too low.

I’ll have to try out the Matrix platform if I make a Discord server in the future.

And I’ll try out Linux as soon as I finish my Master’s in physics from Princeton…

Uhh… Linux is easy! In fact, if you are going for a masters in physics, you’ll probably meet Linux in college.

Ok what kind of machine does it run best on?

Because I’m your stereotypical MacOS kinda guy…

All of them. Basically from Nintendo 64 to the latest and greatest, it works. But if you want a good beginner’s experience, use hardware from the last 5-10 years.

Do you have an M1 Mac or not? If so, Linux won’t work perfectly on the M1 yet, but it’s coming. If you’ve got an Intel-based Mac, you could fix up a Linux live USB drive and play around without installing.

(Forgive my Linux evangelism.)

It’s an M1 Air, yeah. I’ll have to try it out eventually! Did you start on Windows and then learn Linux?

Yeah, everybody except you and a few other people in the world started on Windows. I installed Linux for the kicks of it and ended up switching full time. At this point, I’ve been on it as a daily driver for 2+ years and I have no intentions of ever going back.

Oh no, it was worse… I was limited to ChromeOS for a while!! Even I know that was bad… :joy:

Yikes!!! Although, in a way, that is Linux. Just the Google version that is locked down to be cloudy Google stuff.

Anyway, I should go sleep.

Cool, thanks for enlightening me!
“Would you like another visit from one of our Linux ministers?”

1 Like

Feels

I’d see @theCrazyEight, Miss Taryn looking like a rich man’s wife, with a proper double chin!!

:joy: :joy: I do not deny it, I do enjoy some good old country cooking, maybe Martha White’s cornbread or somesuch…

This exactly!

I don’t think I did… I might have typed it though

Well, unless she’s blond and then she’ll think it’s an intellectual compliment.
Also, every time I’ve been slapped by a girl (my mom usually) they hurt their and hitting me.
But I’m never rude like that in earnest, solely in jest with people I’m comfortable with, and who I think can take a joke.

I happen to know that being the oldest, you probably manage to get a slightly larger portion if you want it, but there’s still only so much pizza to go round.

I concur

Absolutely not!! Because that insinuates that i would actually leave a space for you to offer input

Terrible, you haven’t quoted a single comment in at least 70 posts ]

This is true. It’s not my fault I’m illegal now

How you gonna do that if they’re off?

You have absolutely no way of knowing that. I might have a silenced keyboard and be a deaf/mute for all you know.

Because he’s not as good on banjo as Ron Block, not as good on Mandolin as RON-Davincent, and not as good on fiddle as any decent fiddle player but I can’t think of one that begins with ron…

2 Likes