Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The practice video thread 🎶 - New vid added 11/8/23 - Gold Rush - Guitar

Yeah me too and difficult to keep so nice & even…

1 Like

@Simone, excellent and great idea for a thread!

Wow @scott_wilson! Did you figure that out from the recording? Good job either way!

@Archie, I enjoyed that, sounds good! Do you still play that?

1 Like

I remember that one too @Simone now nothing can hold you back. I think having BanjoSon & GeetarSon is an added bonus for you and helps with any self-confidence issues you had back in those early day’s. I was the exact same when that little light came on I went into panic mode. I just stopped breathing. After a while I left the camera running during practice and soon I forgot it was even there. But I can tell you when I recorded that video it must have been my 500th attempt and I was a nervous wreck the whole time.

1 Like

Hi @Mike_R

Thanks for asking. I’ve not played that tune for about 7 years. Been so busy with other projects that almost everything I played back then I am not playing now. What I will say is looking back at it I see and hear the mistakes, The fumbled notes, the tension etc.

Most of what I am studying now is in the Key of D - Standard G tuning with the capo on the 5th. I am really interested in learning D licks in the 1st position things that involve multiple Hammer - On’s and Pull Offs (Slides if there are any?) - I get frustrated watching Pro Players showing off those fancy D licks but never can find TABs for them to study.

I have most of Alan Munde’s DVDs and I’ll be going back to revisit them soon. As I recall Alan taught some tunes in the Key of D in Standard G tuning without the capo.

Always on the look out for a new challenge. The Old Rugged Cross was way beyond my skill level at the time. But there is only so many times the brain can tolerate Boil dem cabbage down or Cripple Creek before enough is enough. I am kinda like that with most tunes I learn. I work on them till I can play them end to end without a train wreck then move to the next challenge and forget to go back and keep them polished. I think if I went back to ORC I’d need to start again from scratch and that would frustrate me.

2 Likes

greatjob1 @scott_wilson Look forward to hearing the full tune.

2 Likes

Haha I’m kinda working on that one too!:smile: Not near as good though.
@Mike_R Ben posted the tab on another thread. Be Thou My Vision

3 Likes

Thanks Kevin! A friend asked for a recording of that song for a remote wedding out in the woods. This was during the peak of CV lockdowns and we couldn’t go play for the ceremony. I did guitar and mandolin tracks and a friend did violin. I am think of revisiting it. The world needs more banjo.

2 Likes

Good practice @Simone! Thanks for sharing :+1:t2:

3 Likes

@Flatpickin_Libby Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @Simone I should have added MandolinMum to the post above

3 Likes

Thats really a great idea! Love your Mandlin playing! I hope i can find the time for making a practice video… :+1:

1 Like

@Severin
Thanks! And please post a video :+1:

1 Like

Im practicing the second part of folsom prison blues… i dont have any lesson about it. Im trying to find the notes by my self… but its not so easy… i think that will be my own version… not correct, but its my own thing…:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Awesome @scott_wilson!

2 Likes

Love that @Archie!

2 Likes

That’s awesome! You’re playing by ear and making it your own, Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Yeah I don’t remember when I got it but I’ve been working off the tab also.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you I’ve been working off the tab for that. I’m not quite there yet on the banjo.

2 Likes

So, @scott_wilson joined the party, @Severin on the line, who else?! :slight_smile:

1 Like