Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Fiddle Thread

Thanks y’all! Yep Neil, it’s an Irish jig, which is one of my default composing modes

4 Likes

Now why did you have to bring basketball into this conversation…

5 Likes

My latest little project…intro to Heart Over Mind…from an old Ray Price version that Shorty Lavender played the fiddle on.

Bobbled a couple notes and should have slid a little faster on the last slide, but it’s up to speed at least…

6 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

Hmmm…should we start a new “dancing thread” now?

2 Likes

I don’t know, the dancers foot tapping is a pretty good metronome for rhythm playing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just thought the fiddle sounded good with the taps… The second vid was so cute I though it was a nice follow on.

3 Likes

That’s so cute! The dancer is Emma O’Sullivan, and the baby is adorable!!

Yes!!!

4 Likes

A little insight into my practice tonight.

Just Trying to get a hold on a Joe Meadows fiddle break to I Wonder Where You Are Tonight that I ran across on YouTube. It’s pretty rough yet.

Changed the guitar rhythm up a few times to see if I could play through the change…well kinda…haha, I did get distracted and ended up completely improvising to get through the last time around. I sorely wanted to steer back into the melody but just blanked out on how to get there…haha

7 Likes

Reminds me of the theme from a movie or series I’ve watched…can’t remember which one though.

3 Likes

So Stuart, have you had any luck with using less of your shoulder when bowing? .

3 Likes

I don’t have video proof but it is getting better. When I do shorter bowing, I catch myself using my shoulder (I am feeling and catching it though) Funny thing there is a big mirror in the room i hang my instruments and never paid attention. Thanks again for the advice on using the mirror.

4 Likes

The part in there where you go up high (five notes three times back to back to back) sounds exactly like something I remember from The Jack Benny Show! I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for, but that one little part is definitely from that radio program. The first time you play it is 15 seconds in from the start.

BTW: That guitar sounds great… the playing as well as the tone!

4 Likes

:rofl: Your quote is of my reply to something Gunnar played earlier…it reminded me of Game os Thrones or something…Not really sure how I should take the Jack Benny comment hahaha!

3 Likes

Ooooops, Yeah sorry, I thought that after I posted my comment. I also thought you were talking about what you played. Boy I’m all messed up!

But I do remember that part in a Jack Benny program. There’s a Classic Radio channel on Sirius that plays all the old radio programs and his show is one that is played frequently. The Six Shooter with Jimmy Stewart is probably my favorite or Gunsmoke with William Conrad… Good stuff!

4 Likes

I think the thing I’ve most often heard Mr. Benny play was a little section from the Kreutzer exercises…

3 Likes

That was great! I enjoyed it

Which thing that I played are you referring to? The Gael or the original one or?

2 Likes

the original…I’m referring to the first part mostly.

3 Likes

Ok cool. It bears similarities to several Irish tunes I’m sure, so not surprising that it would sound familiar

2 Likes