Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Fiddle Thread

I’m really new to fiddle/violin but thought I might post the song I am learning. When I video myself I really see how stiff I keep my right wrist. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, please let me know. When you start learning something new at 50 you need all the help you can get :yum:Song for Maria

UPDATE: I guess I’m doing a poor job of showing my video. I am only getting the link to the youtube video on my post. I guess forum posting is another thing I need to start learning.

9 Likes

Love the Mohican’s tune Gunnar. You really did it justice too man. :+1:

3 Likes

hmmm…There ya be Stuart.

Your wrist isn’t all that bad position wise. but actually your whole arm is stiff. This causes two problems…playing form the shoulder will just flat wear you out, and the bow is constantly changing it’s angle to the strings.

I do have a suggestion though.
If you have a mirror available it will work better than a camera for this.:…try using only your elbow and wrist to move the bow…the goal is to keep the bow at a right-angle to the strings…go slowly, long strokes, concentrating only on the bow (no left hand work), clean even draw and pressure, and relaxing when you play.

Do this for a few minutes each time when you begin a session and see if it helps you to loosen up your arm and wrist

Also you an spend a couple minutes on playing short quicker notes using only your wrist to move the bow.

8 Likes

Thanks @Fiddle_wood for for the embedding and even more thanks for the advice! I’ll definitely get infant of a mirror and practice the bow drills you mentioned. Thanks!!!

4 Likes

you’re welcome!
Keep in mind, you don’t need to have a “classical” limp wrist to play fiddle. Many great fiddle players have fairly stiff wrists much of the time…Ron Stuart and Mike Cleveland are two I can think of right off the top of my head.

The key is relaxation…

Dave

3 Likes

Thanks Emily!

3 Likes

Can you repeat exactly that, but balancing a book on your head too? :smile:

4 Likes

Maybe if you give me a graduation hat I could…

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about learning the fiddle; what would you guys recommend for rentals? Not ready to buy one yet.

3 Likes

Around here you can pick up decent beginner fiddles on craigslist or at garage sales for less than $100.

2 Likes

I’d recommend buying a used one, it’ll end up being cheaper because if you stay with it, you already own it, and if you don’t stay with it you can sell it on for about what you payed if you buy used

3 Likes

My daughter had taken lessons when she was really young and we got her one from sharmusic.com. When I got interested I got an entry level full size violin from them. Sharmusic does have a rental program but I can really give any recommendation on it since I’ve only purchased from them. I see there are a couple of fiddles at the Banjo Ben store as well.

4 Likes

Bow tension info. I have a wall hanger for my fiddle and bow. I hardly ever loosen the tension in my bow, the only time being when I put it in the case. I really don’t think about releasing the tension since I usually grab it from the hanger and immediately start playing, then just hang it up when I’m done. Any way, is there any rule of thumb for loosening the tension on the bow?

2 Likes

I loosen mine whenever I’m not playing it for over about an hour. .

Mostly because it’s old & wood & it could warp being constantly under pressure.

Just what I was always told to do.

3 Likes

Thanks @Fiddle_wood

3 Likes

I always loosen the bow when I stop playing for over about ten minutes, and the reason is that as the temperature changes the bow gets (hot) tighter or (cold) looser, so if it’s already at tension and then gets tighter from heat then it can warp the bow easily

3 Likes

Thanks @Dragonslayer! Hey also, enjoy your time on this side of the Atlantic.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m already enjoying it!

Here’s an original tune on an original fiddle that was made in south Africa

8 Likes

The tone on that fiddle fits that style very well i think!

4 Likes

Love it! Seems to have a Celtic feel to it.

5 Likes