Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Canary Series Part 2

Look at @Archie puttin’ in his customized playlist disguised as a way to help the young lad stay on task. :wink:

I see what yer doin’ there :face_with_monocle:

… and I like it! :facepunch:

4 Likes

@Archie thank you SO MUCH for the list!! I’m working on it. When this is all over I’ll make a YouTube playlist for the Canary Series just for y’all. Thanks for being so supportive! :grin: Today’s video.

13 Likes

1 gif

4 Likes

NICE !!!:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Have you done Wheel Hoss? That’s my favorite bluegrass tune. Nice job!

5 Likes

@Flatpickin_Libby We haven’t done Wheel Hoss yet. I’ll see if I can get that learned. :blush: Video for today.

13 Likes

Better late than never. Today’s video.

15 Likes
14 Likes

Great job! I love that song!

5 Likes

Super!

3 Likes

@banjoboyk
Grandfather’s Clock song is great! And, in the last few months I’ve now heard versions by Ben, yourself, @Dragonslayer, @Severin, (and one that my sons & I did last week.) I absolutely love to hear the different ways everyone plays them, it gives me ideas :thinking::grin:! It’d be cool to line up those videos to be watched one after the other - NOT in a competitive way - but to show the variety played by the folks here. Music is just awesome that way!
Still very much enjoying this series :+1:t2::notes:!!

5 Likes

Thanks @Simone! (And everyone else😁) That would be fun to line them up like that! I had planned on using my d-tuners but my banjo wouldn’t stay in tune. 🤷🏻I learned this next one from John Moore. And it’s one of the fastest songs I know. Enjoy Dear Old Dixie.

8 Likes

Constructive Feedback - It was fast! too fast! So fast I couldn’t hear the melody!

Slow down a little let the music breathe, Kaleb. Remember what I said about the spaces between the notes.

Listen to Earl play the melody

Oh! by the way I still think your Brilliant!!! point__laugh

5 Likes

Me too @TrevlyncM .

Wish I could learn/play it! @banjoboyk, Great job Kaleb! :banjo:

3 Likes

Hey Archie! I tapped it out on my metronome and we are playing it at exactly the same speed except that (obviously) Earl is cleaner. He has a different attack than I do and a pluckier banjo. Mine is way more mellow and a little harder to distinguish the notes on a faster song. I had also played it 16 billion times trying to get it right and my arm was sore and tired by the time I recorded. 🤷🏻

4 Likes

I notice you pick a little closer to the neck of the banjo, which also creates a more mellow sound. Great job! I enjoy these videos. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

What can I say… gif

3 Likes

Kaleb, did you try practicing at a higher speed (say 20% up) to be able to perform comfortably and cleaner at the desired speed? Just my 2 cents thoughts…

4 Likes

@JohnM no, it was a little fast to be going faster. Unfortunately I have hit a wall. Trying to learn a new song every day (because I’m at the end of what I know/want to play) has become more that I can do with trying to keep up with school and all else that is going on in my family. It has been a fun run and tomorrow we will record our final song. No song tonight. I had a family obligation and the song I was trying to work up just wasn’t coming together. Thanks all for watching and for your input! I/we have recorded 46 songs! :smiley:

11 Likes

Just as well I was running out of compliments. hat_wave

Now that you’ve rattled off your list maybe you could go back and revisit those tunes that I said, I felt you played too fast and slow them down a little so this old fart of a fan can better appreciate the melody. gif

3 Likes