Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Canary Series Part 2

Thanks @Simone! (And everyone else😁) That would be fun to line them up like that! I had planned on using my d-tuners but my banjo wouldn’t stay in tune. 🤷🏻I learned this next one from John Moore. And it’s one of the fastest songs I know. Enjoy Dear Old Dixie.

8 Likes

Constructive Feedback - It was fast! too fast! So fast I couldn’t hear the melody!

Slow down a little let the music breathe, Kaleb. Remember what I said about the spaces between the notes.

Listen to Earl play the melody

Oh! by the way I still think your Brilliant!!! point__laugh

5 Likes

Me too @TrevlyncM .

Wish I could learn/play it! @banjoboyk, Great job Kaleb! :banjo:

3 Likes

Hey Archie! I tapped it out on my metronome and we are playing it at exactly the same speed except that (obviously) Earl is cleaner. He has a different attack than I do and a pluckier banjo. Mine is way more mellow and a little harder to distinguish the notes on a faster song. I had also played it 16 billion times trying to get it right and my arm was sore and tired by the time I recorded. 🤷🏻

4 Likes

I notice you pick a little closer to the neck of the banjo, which also creates a more mellow sound. Great job! I enjoy these videos. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

What can I say… gif

3 Likes

Kaleb, did you try practicing at a higher speed (say 20% up) to be able to perform comfortably and cleaner at the desired speed? Just my 2 cents thoughts…

4 Likes

@JohnM no, it was a little fast to be going faster. Unfortunately I have hit a wall. Trying to learn a new song every day (because I’m at the end of what I know/want to play) has become more that I can do with trying to keep up with school and all else that is going on in my family. It has been a fun run and tomorrow we will record our final song. No song tonight. I had a family obligation and the song I was trying to work up just wasn’t coming together. Thanks all for watching and for your input! I/we have recorded 46 songs! :smiley:

11 Likes

Just as well I was running out of compliments. hat_wave

Now that you’ve rattled off your list maybe you could go back and revisit those tunes that I said, I felt you played too fast and slow them down a little so this old fart of a fan can better appreciate the melody. gif

3 Likes

46 songs is great! I wonder if I could play that many… doubtful! It’s hard to keep up with something every day. Nice job on this fun series!

9 Likes

You already excelled above words could describe!! I do not know if I would be able to notice such minor improvements if at all required. Some such improvement can happen over time too. So don’t bother too much. Recording 46 songs at such a level that you did is unbelievable! So take a break and switch to your school work. We appreciate your time and all the entertainment you provided us during this time! Good luck with your studies too!

6 Likes

Proud of you for this, @banjoboyk!

9 Likes

Absolutely take care of yourself and those family obligations. Those are the most important things in your young life at this time. Music will take it’s proper place in time. You have done a fantastic job keeping us entertained. Thank you for going above and beyond the call of duty during these difficult days. Fallowing you post’s gave me something to take my mind off the news. I am looking forward to seeing the last installment in the series, along with your next project.

7 Likes

Y’all are awesome to hang in there with me! Like I said it has been fun. Not sure where music is going to go next for me as all my festival gigs and concerts with the band I play with have been canceled for the summer. Hopefully there will be some gigs this fall. I think we’ll end up doing a lot of back porch pickin’. Maybe that will be my next series…:thinking: Here’s the grand finale! FYI the bass player is my dad and he and I are finishing up repairs on his bass, thus the blue tape. @Archie I’ll see what I can do…:grin:

13 Likes

You’re the best Kaleb high_five

6 Likes

GREAT JOB, Y’all!!!

10 Likes

Awesome finale!!! Great job

7 Likes

WOW!!! That was great! Thank you for all your hard work! Thumbs up to your family as well ! I will be looking forward to your future projects, Good luck to you and your’s ! :sunglasses: :beers:

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the awesome videos

5 Likes

Great Job @banjoboyk!

Wow… nice finale. Nice solos. Cool to see - Daddy played Bass. :facepunch:

May I ask… What your Shirt said?

3 Likes