Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The 9 Pound Hammer

I’ve had some techy problems to deal with - it’s been a while since I’ve recorded and couldn’t get the bass to come through. Guess I found the magic button by accident. So I have uploaded a track to keep things moving forward, will likely redo when there are some more instruments down and I have something to work against.
By the way Larry the dobro sounds great, my bassline doesn’t sound quite as monotonous on your solo.

Will get onto vocals now, couldn’t get any volume from the mike and just found a broken wire in the lead XLR for the phantom power. I’ll try to fix today and have another go at it.
Life more complicated as we had a power blackout down at the cave and the surge has blown something in the satellite gear for the internet. Hope they get someone out this coming week. As I do my recording stuff down there at the kiosk (for peace and quiet) that has been a real pain but I got onto a borrowed connection to upload the bass track.
Also don’t know if it is just me but I don’t find the new Kompoz setup as user friendly as before so still stumbling around a bit there. :confused:

Congrats on the land purchase Jesse, hope your renovations go smoothly, there is great satisfaction in building on your own place. I’ve been 23 years up in the bush now and still trying to keep the boss happy with the shack that just kept growing (though we did just start out in a tent, no power, no water etc). It was never intended as the house but kids came along and the cave business etc and no money to start a planned house and Topsy just grew to accommodate, so it is good you can work on it till you are ready to move in.

Yaaaaay! We have 50% more instruments! I’m in an “intermission” for an impromptu jam, but if no one else gets to it first, I can make a mix and put it back out there later tonight or tomorrow.

I made a new mix with bass added:
kompoz.com/music/collaborati … e/412354/2

Sounds good ozi!

All right, ozi! Now hurry and record your vocals while your equipment is cooperating with you. :smiley:

— Begin quote from ____

I don’t find the new Kompoz setup as user friendly as before

— End quote

I’m the same way. I stared at Mike’s new mix with your bass track for about 10 minutes before I realized it was the new mix. I was confused because Kompoz indicates it was uploaded 13 days ago. It took me a while to figure out that we have a version one and a version two of the mix.

I was confused by that right after I uploaded it.
And to make things even more confusing, that is the third version of the mix. I deleted one version, so now the second and third versions are versions 1 and 2. Arrrrghhh.

— Begin quote from ____

Now hurry and record your vocals while your equipment is cooperating with you.

— End quote

OK, done, but note that equipment is one thing, voice is another.
This is high range for me - interesting that it was easier to sing at a faster tempo, so if you don’t like this version we can hike it up to about 280 … :laughing:
Had a listen with echo added and that sounded a lot better to me. But then I guess noone seems to like the sound of his own voice on a recording. :unamused:

OK you lot, time to put up!

Alright Ozi! I look forward to giving giving it a listen!

The raw track sounds pretty good to me, ozi, so I’m sure Mike will make it sound real nice in the mix.

If no one gets to it before then, I’ll make a mix tomorrow (Monday in the states).

Hey Ozi, I have the vox in there and am playing with it on and off today… nice job with the vocals!

Here’s a mix with Ozi’s lead vocals. Great job Ozi!
http://www.kompoz.com/music/collaboration/412333/file/417520/1#comment438035

I think I might have the bass sound a bit too prominent. JW, how does the bass balance sound on those high tech monitors you have?

I’d love to be able to tell you, but Kompost won’t allow me access to this project without being invited in by the owner. I’m not sure who that is at this point, but I haven’t been able to listen to any of the mixes other than the original scratch track you made awhile ago. What are these people at kompoz so afraid of? It’s just some people getting together, trying to make music for Heaven’s sakes!

I think someone tried to invite me in but didn’t know my user name. It’s “shadetree” and I should have followed through when that came up. Sorry about that.

Thanks for asking and I’m really enjoying these monitors.

J.W.

I think I just sent you an invite. If it doesn’t go through, let us know.

Thanks for getting that done Mike.
Not sure about the bass levels - either way I’d like to have another go at it, perhaps with the fretless, as the intonation on the Ubass is off on one string, maybe time for new ones.

I’ve just listened again to the track that you put down a while ago JW - great voice and nice guitar work. Any chance of some support vocals and guitar from you on this one?

Just saw that Jesse will get the guitar track up soon :blush: . How are you on vocal harmony JW?

All right! It’s starting to sound like a song. Nicely done, ozi.

I don’t have JW’s nice monitors, but the bass sounds a little heavy to me.

Thanks for the invite Mike. I can now at least get the track you made to show up on Kompoz, but when I hit the play arrow, it will not play. I’ve tried several times and all I get is a little blue circle that spins around. I tried to download it three times and it will not download in an mp3 format, so I still can’t play it. I’m wondering if my computer is compatible with the new and “improved” Kompoz!? :angry:

Thanks for the comments Ozi. I’m going to do that same guitar break soon. Like Jesse, I’ve been real busy too. As for harmony vocals, oh boy!, I’ll have to try it along with the track (if I can ever listen to it). I’ve never really done harmony, but I won’t say no either. I’ll have to see what I can do. Thanks for asking.

J.W.

Understand your frustration JW! I went through the same thing with Kompoz, tried different things and finally got lucky, probably by accident. If it helps, my download comes through Kompoz konnect, had to get a Kompoz key then when I was ready to throw the whole thing in the dam, it suddenly worked, still don’t know why :astonished:
Downloads as mp3.
Re the vocals, have a listen to what Sam Bush does on the Tony Rice Allstars youtube. Worth a try, worst that can happen is they toss us both out of the band :unamused:

To circumvent the troubles with Kompoz, here’s a direct link to the latest mix:
dropbox.com/s/8h7vek78ihuf6 … x%20V1.mp3

Please note: if anyone is looking for this file in the distant future, this file probably won’t be available forever.

I’ve been downloading to Google Drive. this seems to work easily.

Then it took me two weeks to get it onto my recorder form the computer :unamused:

hint: don’t look for an mp3 file in a WAV section of your recorder :blush: it won’t show up. oh yeah, and I need to use itunes to convert mp3 into WAV, THEN put it in recorder… I must be getting old…

finally got Mike’s mix on my recorder and will try to get something laid down on Tue.