Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The 9 Pound Hammer

I’ve managed to solve the downloading problem through Google Drive, so can now download form Kompoze. Only took me Two days to figure out… :unamused:

I’ll cut a track for the fiddle intro, but will wait until other instruments and voices are done before cutting any back-up tracks on fiddle or banjo, as I don’t want to step on any toes inadvertently by cutting a back-up beforehand.

Now I just have to re-learn how to use my recorder and switch files between that and my computer…whoo boy…

Alright, we’re off and running. I look forward to hearing it!

If the Bass & Mando rhythm are ready to record I’ll let them get theirs down first. Otherwize I should be able to come up with something this weekend. Working out of town is taking up lots of my tme during the week.

I have guests this week, so I am not sure I’ll get an easy chance to record the mandolin rhythm. If it’s needed, I can try to get it done sooner rather than later. I’ll might re-do the track as the project gets more stuff in to account for what else is going on.

BTW, an update on the DropBox trials: Larry and I have a shared folder set up through DropBox. Basically it acts like we both have the same folder on our machines. If one of us puts a file in the folder, the other person sees it. It (combined with the ability to share a link with anyone) seems like a good option if Kompoz doesn’t work for everyone.

Larry put together a nice dobro solo and got it to me via dropBox. I think it sounds great. I added a little mando to get a feel for it, and here’s the results:

I downloaded Larry’s Dobro part. Great job to both of you! Sounding good.

Is that the new mandolin Mike? I really like the parts you put in there along with the rythym. It actually sounds like it’d be more fun to do that than the lead break.

I have my guitar break ready (or so I think). Do I just stick it in there anywhere on the rythym track and also what was the speed on that? Sounded like either 200 or 210.

Good job guys.

J.W.

Thanks for the kind words, that is the new mando (first time recording it). I just set the gain and fired away. I love playing mandolin rhythm… it’s a hoot.

That mix was 200 BPM. There was some discussion on the speed, but so far as I know, there wasn’t any real decision. I think Dave recorded his at 200. I am thinking with fills and such 200 would be fine. I think it can have enough drive and plus we could do a bit more with our parts. With that said, I have always said I have the easy part… the speed is up to you guys.

If we do the 200 BPM version, I had the various breaks lined out as follows (again if someone wants something different, no problem with me):

From whenever he wants to start until measure starting at about 0:22- (Break 1) Dave: fiddle kickoff and break
measure starting at about 0:22- Ozi Vox: traditional first verse (is a little to heavy for my size)
measure starting at about 0:42- (Break 2)Jesse: GTR
measure starting at about 1:01- Ozi Vox: Long way to Hazard verse
measure starting at about 1:20- (Break 3)Larry: Dobro
measure starting at about 1:40- (Break 4)Ben: banjo or mando
measure starting at about 1:59- Ozi Vox: Up on the mountain verse
measure starting at about 2:18- (Break 5)JW: GTR
measure starting at about 2:37- Ozi Vox: Make my tombstone verse
measure starting at about 2:56- (Break 6)Ben: banjo or mando break
measure starting at about 3:16- Ben: ending lick

JW, that puts you starting for the downbeat around 2:18. If someone records in the “wrong” spot or we do want to move them, not a problem.

I’ve got stuff I have to head out to, but I’ll try to get the complete mando track done in the next few days (I just recorded a verse to go with Larry’s break).

Let’s get settled on a speed and start putting this bad boy together :smiley:

Yep sounds good on the dobro Larry…is that a B-bender on that dobro…haha!

I think 200bpm is fine.

I was kind of waiting for some vocal presence and bass before I done a final recording on guitar…Ozi you gonna at least through down a verse that we can use as a marker?

I am pretty much ready although I might tweek it once we get bass and some vocals.

B-bender, huh? That might have made my playing a little cleaner. Would have needed a G-bender, too.

Sounds like you guys are about ready to record. I think our project is about to take off.

Sorry there fellas, was having trouble sorting out the the downloads thing. Think I’ve got it now, will get something down asap and see if it uploads ok.

I tried recording some mandolin tonight. I have a lovely little cold and being dopey and having the sniffles doesn’t seem to work well with recording. I thought I had re-recorded over all the sniffles, but there are still a few in there. Ahh well… Rome wasn’t built in a day. The individual track isn’t worth keeping, but I made a mix and put it out on Kompoz. Here’s a link to Kompoz:
(EDIT: link removed)

For those who want to avoid Kompoz, here’s a link to the file:
dropbox.com/s/3fd2au5xx2c5h … %20Mix.mp3

By the way, who wants to do the mixing on this project?

Well, all right! I’m glad the forum is working again. I was getting lonely.

Sounding good, Mike. Anybody get any tracks recorded during the forum down time?

I have been informed by Kompoz that 9# hammer is covered by a copyright and must be removed or changed to a private project.
We have at least three options:

1. I can buy a private project or whatever it’s called
  2. We can move to something like dropbox (that has worked well for Larry and I)
  3. We can close my project and someone who is already a plus member and can do private projects can host it.

I am open to any of the three. I’m going to go ahead and delete the existing project just in case someone has put thing into motion to take some action against the project. That is if I can figure out how to delete a project. Love the new interface :smiley:

Yay, I figured out how to move the thing to trash (only about 4 minutes).

I can do rhythm and an eight count guitar lead if needed. And maybe some vocals. I’m not the best singer, but I know the lyrics and have fun acting like I have a voice =)

I use Reaper to record. So just let me know what tempo and where to upload it if you need my help.

Hey Alex, thanks for offering to jump in! I think this project is already pretty well filled out, at least we have a plan for it. We have volunteer/victims for vocals, rhythm guitar and all the solos. With that said sometimes people get busy and can’t do what they had volunteered for, so it might well be that we’ll need some more help with it. I suspect we’ll have another song going soon. I look forward to doing some recording with you.

Definitely stick close, Alex. I bet we end up needing extra tracks on about half our projects. Some of them have languished for weeks or even months waiting for someone to jump in and finish them.

Of course if we have enough people interested we could start the planning stages of a new project while we record this one.

I’m good with however we want to host our project. I don’t have a paid account on Kompoz, so I can’t start a private project. I do think it would be good to keep entry level participation free of charge if possible. Dropbox is working well so far.

I’m paid plus for a year at Kompoz. I’l just have to figure out how to start a project with someone elses track maybe?

i’ll check it out tonight…

project is started and private.

If you can find my profile and “follow” me I can invite you to collaborate on the song.