Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Teen Picker's Online Collaboration

Thanks!

3 Likes

Cool, thatā€™d be great. I also didnā€™t know you were a teen. Any other teens we didnā€™t mention are also welcome

4 Likes

This makes me want to be a teenager again!!! I canā€™t wait to see/hear how it turns out! Let me know if you need my help with anything.

7 Likes

I could do banjo or mandolin. Whatever is needed. This is awesome! How are we going to do it though? Do we pick a tempo and play to a metronome for recording? Any of the songs mentioned are fine with me.

3 Likes

Typically, an initial track is laid down with (or without) a metronome. Thatā€™s usually either a bass or rhythm guitar track. That is sent to everyone who wants to participate. They record their parts while listening to that and send it back.

Speaking of bass, has anyone volunteered for that, yet?

5 Likes

I can play bass if no one else does, but I only have an electric bass guitar so itā€™d be better if someone could play upright

2 Likes

Yeah, I can play electric bass, but if you are playing guitar, you might as well do both.

2 Likes

Same here, guilty as charged. I donā€™t come as often as my siblings and I get limited computer time. I do play guitar, havenā€™t branched out to anything else yet. Iā€™ll probably sit this one out (:sob::sob::sob:) cuz Iā€™m not in Gold pick right now. 'Sides, my skills arenā€™t exactly, shall we say, audible at the moment! Still, keep me informed! Iā€™d love to learn how to do all this recording and mixing stuff as it has interested me since childhood.

3 Likes

You donā€™t have to be a gold picker to join.

Well, keep practicing and perhaps they will be by the time we start recording or in time for the next one.

Weā€™ll do that, itā€™s quite interesting to do (but not as fun as actually picking)

3 Likes

Thanks for the support! Are yā€™all planning on getting tab/chords for this or just winginā€™ it?

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what weā€™re here for!

I think most of us already know how to play solo and rhythm for FMB, and probably salt Creek too, but weā€™d probably better make sure we all play the same chords on salt Creek, cuz there are a few ways to play it. If anyone needs it I can help with tab or chord sheets

3 Likes

It might be a good idea to discuss tempo before actually cutting tracks also,

4 Likes

Definitely. I think weā€™re waiting to hear from everyone before we start?

4 Likes

No exclusions. no excuses. :wink: If you want to do it even just a little, than do it!

My guitar solos arenā€™t exactly to Gunnarā€™s level either. This may take months to do, so start practicing!

If you or someone in your family has a iphone, ipad, ipod, or iwhatever, you can download garageband, which is super easy to use.

For FMB, I am coming up with a mando solo. For Salt Creek, I will use @BanjoBenā€™s tab. Would you mind, Ben, if we slip her a tab?

I think 200BPM is a good speed. not so fast we lose it, but fast enough to sound like a fiddle tune.

Now whoā€™s laying down the rhythm track? Gunnar if you are playing guitar solo, maybe you?

3 Likes

Of course not!

4 Likes

GB also comes standard on all apple computers I think.

For guitar I also have two non-Ben solos that I could share (one easy one hard)

For salt Creek thatā€™s good, Iā€™d have to check against a metronome but FMB might do good a bit faster

I can do that

2 Likes

Although, Iā€™ll first need to know how many solos thereā€™ll be

2 Likes

So far this is what the breaks look like:
FMB
@Dragonslayer Since we have a couple other guitar players, maybe you should do fiddle and a up the neck version on the banjo.
@D_HRRFan7303 I can do a up the neck banjo break if necessary, and a mandolin solo.
@Michael_Mark Do you want to be the main banjo?
@Fisherbro Guitar break
@Kevin_S A dobro solo would be awesome!!!
@banjoboyk Whatever you want to do.
@theChristiancowgirl let me know if you want to do it.

Salt Creek:
@Dragonslayer Banjo or Guitar would be good, along with fiddle.
@D_HRRFan7303 I can do mandolin, or banjo
@Kevin_S Dobro?
@banjoboyk whatever you want
@Fisherbro whatever you want
@Michael_Mark whatever you want
@theChristiancowgirl if you wanna play, just let us know.

None of this is final, anyone can play anything they want, these are just suggestions. no rush either, take your time learning if you donā€™t already know these.

6 Likes

In the past, just to get things going we have made a disposable rhythm (scratch) track. While it is disposable, still use a click to ensure everything is on the planned tempo. Make more breaks than you expect and that way you donā€™t have to know exactly how many people are involved. Plus it lets people dip their toes in the water without committing. One thing we didnā€™t normally do, but I would suggest is going ahead and laying out an ending on the track. That way one or more people do a track that includes an ending.

6 Likes

That sounds like a good plan.

2 Likes