Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Tailwheel Training

Lovely plane. I’ve spent a fair amount of time behind them getting towed. Happy memories!

3 Likes

WrOnG sChoOl, @Archie!!! We don’t sip tea with our pinkies out in College Station!

8 Likes

That’s pretty funny that someone would do that.

2 Likes

Just remember… taking off is an option… landing is an OBLIGATION!

1 Like

@BanjoBen Not sure if that was a jab from @Archie

BUT We can give him the benefit of the doubt and correct his heinous and egregious error!

3 Likes

No jab intended @JohnnyD my apologise to @BanjoBen if that’s how it came over. I saw the training flight path of TEXAS and knowing that Ben hails from that state I thought he might appreciate seeing the image.

1 Like

Hey Archie!

It would have been a playful and fun jab if you had known that the image you selected was created by someone that was obviously a fan of and probably attended the University of Texas (UT). That flight plan outlines the shape of the State of Texas yes, but it contains the mascot for UT.

Ben replied and mentioned “WrOnG sChoOL” because he attended Texas A&M University
-A completely different college- which is the BIGGEST RIVAL in the State.

Now, its obvious you didn’t know that and that’s why I said that we would give you the benefit of the doubt while correcting the now hilariously egregious error! :joy:

6 Likes

Thanks for the explanation @JohnnyD I knew that Ben attended Texas A&M now that I know that Texas UT is their biggest rival I am so glad of the error I made. I now see the funny side and the jab gif

6 Likes

I was wondering what Chicago Bulls (NBA team) was doing in Texas. OK now I get it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey Banjo Ben. I’m in Jasper, TN doing a ridge camp in gliders this week up and down the Cumberland Plateau! We did Jasper to Hinch Mountain and back the other day cruising the ridge at 100 knots. We will fly Thursday behind the cold front again and expect to do a 300km badge flight. It’s the flying equivalent of music!

7 Likes

I’ve always wanted to fly a glider!

2 Likes

Matthew, that’s awesome. Looks like a Grob 103? Good luck on getting great conditions tomorrow! I have never gotten to play in ridge lift, probably because we don’t have much in the way of ridges down here :slight_smile: Seems like that would be pretty fantastic. Is that a commercial ridge camp? If so please post a link or send me a message with contact info for the folks who do that.

2 Likes

Mr. Clark, you have been missing a great way to fly! :sunglasses: That does looks like a Grob 103 above which would be an awesome way to get your soaring experience. On a good day, 5-8 knot climbs are not unusual and as Matthew mentions above long trips via ridge soaring or by cloud streets are quite possible.

2 Likes

I have a friend in Sheridan that has a Piper Cub, classic tail dragger. If you end up out this way, maybe I could arrange some flight time with him for you. That thing has such a low stall speed, it feels like you’re just floating.

3 Likes

Man let’s do it. Hannah and I are planning on going through Sheridan either on our way up or back from Montana. I hope you’re ready to host some Clarks, haha.

4 Likes

Ben, if you were around over the last weekend, you could have gotten some highly coveted professional flying experience dropping Easter eggs out of an airplane!

4 Likes

I saw your pics and mourned not gaining that commercial endorsement!

4 Likes

You would have been legal for this… it was not for profit. It didn’t seem right to charge kids in my back yard :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey Mike, sorry about the delay. That is one of our Grob 103 that we trailered up from our club in FL. It’s a ridge camp that is done alternating years in Jasper, TN. Next year will be a wave camp at Mt. Mitchell in NC. They are all hosted by Sarah Kelly from Chilhowee Gliderport in Benton, TN. I think her website should have all of the details on upcoming events. It can be found at www.chilhowee.com. She hosts an Oktoberfest that is a lot of fun, we are hoping to get to that this year.

1 Like

Thanks!