Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Tabs/notes of scale

Terrific site…have learned bushel baskets full…how much interest is on board of having notes of scale disp. Along with tabs? (I for one read only staff note and must transpose each song from tabs b-4 being my practice)…keep up the good work. Thanks

If you grab the tef file and open it up in Tefview, you can view as tablature, standard notation, or both.

Well good on you for reading standard notation! I feel like I ought to do it more often, but I just don’t put in the time.

+1 What Larry said… tabledit is the answer. With that said, there are some details that are in the tab that one would need the video to glean the same information. For example, there are quite a few licks where one ends up around the 4th to 7th frets, and I don’t think the standard notation is going to differentiate between an E played on the 5th fret of the B string and the open E string. Then again, if your normally read standard notation, I would guess that wouldn’t be news.

For any who think this might sound odd that some don’t read tab, I ran into the very same with the bass player of the group I play with at a local church. He couldn’t read tab a bit. He could sight read standard notation a performance speed (granted it was a bass line, but still…), he could play with chords charts, I could call out “1 4 1 5 1” and he’d chug right along, but tab stopped him dead in his tracks as he looked at his neck and counted the frets. Tabledit to the rescue!

I think it is much easier to read the time value of notes with standard notation, and after two years of daily reading, I am finally about as fast working with standard notation as I am with tab. That is assuming the standard notation has been annotated for guitar, because like Mike says, some ambiguity exists in note selection for guitar players.