Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Sympathy for Loud Banjo

Reading the post Loud Banjo reminded me of something that happened years ago when I was first learning the banjo:

When I started on 5-string I had been playing guitar for a number of years, and had gotten into the habit of watching TV with my wife, quietly noodling/practicing on the guitar. I attempted to do the same thing with the banjo, but wearing fingerpicks makes playing quietly impossible. After just a few minutes my wife said “Please do that somewhere else.”
So I went down to our bedroom.
Our bedroom was right across the hall from my daughters room, where she had a small Vcr/Tv combo (remember those?) where she would watch her tapes of Disney movies. After just a few minutes she came in and said “Daddy please! I can’t hear my movies!”
So, again, I took my banjo and walked away. Well, it was a pretty nice day outside, so I set up a folding chair under our carport and again began to practice. After a few minutes of this I started thinking “I should have come out here in the first place. I can get this thing going as loud as I want without bothering anybody!” So I did.
I let myself get lost in my ever-so-slowly improving banjo rolls, and after a while I noticed that my neighbors youngest son was standing at the edge of their yard holding a BB rifle.
I wasn’t entirely sure whether he had already pinged off a shot at me, or was fixing to, so I stopped and said, “Hey Buddy, were you saying something to me?”
He said “Yeah! Will you stop playing that thing? You’re scaring off all the birds!”

Talk about a guy that can’t catch a break. I can’t figure out if I need to bust a gut laughing because of the hilariousness of this all too common predicament (picturing the kid with the BB gun gets me every time), or weep because we all know how hard it is to find a place to just enjoy our banjos.

Reminds me of BanjoBen’s video skit at the beginning of his Dueling Banjos video: The Lonely Banjo Players Foundation and Association :laughing:

I had an almost identical situation with the first part. My wife was not a fan years ago when I first started on mandolin. She flat out told me “would you quit?”

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

I had an almost identical situation with the first part. My wife was not a fan years ago when I first started on mandolin. She flat out told me “would you quit?”

— End quote

And now?

I quit playing it for several years, but now she likes it so I started back into it last year. She is even playing it a bit now.

I love conversion stories. I got a little one who Mama just can’t say “No” to:

Awwww!