Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Sweet by and by

I am really enjoying the lesson on this one it is a bit easier for me because I grew up playing the Carter style as that was what was on radio at the time . It grows on you and sometimes it is hard to quit playing it . I might have a recording of it sometime later on don’t know if I can finish it right or not . my old fingers do not stretch as well as they used to LOL . I really like the ending, it sounds so old time country. After I get it down good I may try the flat picking version.

That is a nice arrangement. Lately, I have been enjoying playing “Bury me beneath the willow.”

Both are great tunes to play for sure . I like the Carter sound better but you know that is what makes music better some like this and others like it another way they both sound great either way. Glad you are enjoying playing.

I really like songs in the Carter Style. I find myself playing those old tunes just for my enjoyment. Really looking forward to the Wreck of the Old 97 in Carter Style.

Another Carter style fan here. I enjoy picking songs out of chord positions like Wildwood Flower, Home Sweet Home, You Are My Flower, etc… Especially with a capo up the neck a ways.

Mother Maybell Carter used a capo 5th fret and played out of the C position which would be F I think. it sounds so good like that .could back up one and play it in E which would be a great back up sound . My mind don’t work so well so if I made a mistake I apologize up front.

Nope, you got it right Welder, that would be F. If you put a capo on 1 and played in E that would indeed be a good backup.

Here’s my Travis pickin’ version

JB

Good job JB. Love that Travis style picking.

Hey Ken I know just what you’re talking about. There are several Carter tunes I like playing capo’d on the seventh fret in the C position. It gets a little crowded up there playing out of chords but sure sounds good with a rhythm guitar playing without a capo in regular G.

Great version JB (gater). I would like to learn it. Either by tab or maybe just some info on how to come up with such an arrangement. Please let me know, thanks

— Begin quote from "mcghee123"

Great version JB (gater). I would like to learn it. Either by tab or maybe just some info on how to come up with such an arrangement. Please let me know, thanks

— End quote

+1 for me. I think that mp3 is going on my ipod. :stuck_out_tongue: