Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Sweet By and By - Pick - Request For Comment

A fellow forum member post reminded me to see how I’m doing. Hence, I recorded this audio of my practice. I managed to complete the Sweet by and by Pick version lesson in the lesson tempo but not without skipping of quite a few notes due to the speed required. Now that I can reach the speed, how I can improve accuracy. Please share your thoughts - positive or negative. Thanks!

9 Likes

I would say, flip the script. Slow the speed to improve accuracy. Once you can play it through 3 times without any mistakes, increase speed by 5-10 bpm (credit: @Mark_Rocka). By the way, great song choice.

9 Likes

Thanks @Brent.H! OK, great, sounds like a very reasonable, doable goal/plan to me! :+1: I’ll find a comfortable speed where I could play this cleanly to record and post it first. Will then try to gradually improve speed by 5-10 bpm as @Mark_Rocka recommends and will track progress.

Btw, this is one of the songs that attracted me to take membership some 5 years ago and have been attempting since then, every now and then.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tag.

Yeah, definitely slow it down a bit and make 100% sure you’re following the proper pick direction in the tabs. Pick direction seems to be something a lot of folks overlook, but without proper pick direction, getting it up to speed cleanly will be much harder.

Also, if you could post a video, especially of your picking hand, we may be able to make suggestions on your attack.

8 Likes

Mark, thanks for your feedback! I follow the pick direction religiously right from when I started flat picking so it would be extremely hard for me to deviate. I can tell with certainty I’m following proper pick direction 100%. I had to do catching up a few times to keep up with the tempo (I was watching the tab and listening to the tef via headphone while playing) and hence those lapses. OK, I will try to work on a video to get a better assessment from you folks! :slight_smile:

Looking back, I’m enjoying my progress!

And, thanks folks for the likes! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In that case, the most important thing is to just keep it slow enough. You know what they say. It’s not practice that makes perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

5 Likes

Sure, I will keep it slow to get it clean first. I never heard about the perfect practice thing, maybe many will give up or discouraged if that is so (:wink: ), but it makes perfect sense! :slight_smile:

1 Like

:+1:

Dig your pick in harder so it doesn’t sound like you’re just scraping the strings.

Keep up the practice!

3 Likes

@Flatpickin_Libby, keen observation! I know that was an issue, and I’m improving on that. I thought the way to correct would be from proper pick hand movement (to bring pick right over the string), and from proper pick hold and grip (so as to not let the pick slip or change angle). As sometimes the pick angle changes and it does not strike well enough. Thanks for the advice, will work on that!

1 Like