Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Streets of London

Just listened to “Streets of London” by the inestimable Mr Rice. Wow. If you can listen to that song and not get a little misty-eyed… something’s wrong. What an artist. I only wish I had discovered this Bluegrass world and Tony Rice sooner.

13 Likes

The Kruger Brothers also do this song and the original by Ralph McTell is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiWomXklfv8

4 Likes

Love it. Thank you so much. This song just made it on my learn list.
I loved this recording but also how Tony rice slightly swings it. Gorgeous tune.

6 Likes

Coming from the guy that also gets misty eyed at Amazing Grace on banjo. :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

YeH …. That was an emotional momenr! :sunglasses: It was so much fun getting to know you. I hope to see you at one of these get together‘s again sometime in the future. And if you ever just want somebody took critique or just listen to something you’re playing on the banjo let me know I will be glad to listen to anything you do.

6 Likes

That’s one of my favorite songs ever, I have about a dozen different ways of playing it.

5 Likes

Maybe the first time I’m hearing but I like it a lot!

2 Likes

Post one!! Or twelve.

I love the song too. It’s so emotional and Tony’s version is amazing.

4 Likes

Tony swings it ever so slightly… loved it.

4 Likes

There are several tutorials on Youtube for guitar.

4 Likes

I wanna hear Scotty’s versions though :wink:

5 Likes

I wanna hear Scotty do it too!!
I play this one a lot too

2 Likes

Ralph McTell wrote that song. I’ve listened to it hundreds of times and it never fails to move me.

2 Likes

Good to see you back Archie. I love this song. The tef link doesn’t work.

1 Like

Not sure what’s happening here. Possible site maintenance. So I have removed the link.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. My intro to him was “Tony Rice Sings Gordon Lightfoot.” My misty moment was his cover of Lightfoot’s “Early Morning Rain.” I first heard it at a time when my Dad was dying of liver cancer in another state. He had been unable to travel to see me for some years. Even before he got sick, his life had fallen apart due to alcohol and drug abuse. We were separated by hundreds of miles, and we had lived separate lives for nearly a decade. So, for me, that song has always reminded me of my Dad’s decline. He passed last year.

“Manzanita” is also a wonderful album, but with all respect to Mr. Skaggs, I like there to be a banjer in the band. “Ginseng Sullivan” is my current favorite off that album.

I listened to all of “Church Street Blues” on Youtube. I’d like a copy on CD or vinyl but I think it’s out of production, judging by the price. Rarely have a I heard such a perfect album, in any genre. Not long ago, I got around to buying a (new) “old Martin box” and Tony and Doc are my inspirations. I’ve heard good things about Billy Strings but I find the bro-country vibe a bit off-putting.

I’ve also decided to put some money aside to buy a new banjo some time next year. Maybe a Deering Sierra or a decently priced Earl Scruggs Standard. Something I can get good at, arthritis be damned, and leave it to my kids. Or be buried with it. :smiley:

1 Like