Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Strap for banjo

Does anyone know if any the leather straps that Ben sells would fit in a hardshell case while on the banjo? I need a banjo strap and it would be nice not to have to take it off every time that I put it in the case.

2 Likes

Hey Kevin,

I use the Harrison strap and it fits alongside the banjo in the case quite nicely. The Huber strap is a similar design and is advertised by Huber to fit alongside the banjo in the case as well. The guy who makes Harrison straps also offers custom text/designs on the strap; I don’t know if the General Store would be able to get that in though.

1 Like

I’d suggest the Lakota straps for what you’re looking for. Quite comfortable and fits in any case due to how soft and floppy they are.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help @Michael_Mark and @Timothy_L. Is there any advantage with a tooled strap over a non-tooled one?

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s much of an advantage other than aesthetics. I used a Lakota banjo strap for a while, but one side shed little leather bits and I wasn’t a fan of how soft it was given the weight of the banjo. I do like the Lakota a lot for guitar, though.

3 Likes

For a heavier banjo I definitely recommend the Neotech banjo straps. They are absolutely the best. It doesn’t fit easily in a hard case but I make it work. Which is why the Lakota is great for fitting in a case

3 Likes

I have three banjo’s all have leather straps and I have no problems fitting them in the case and closing the lid. After laying the banjo in the case I take the top end of the strap and pull it tight whilst feeding the part of the strap that goes over the shoulder around the outer edge of the resonator finally bending the bottom part of the strap back on its-self. I then lightly press down on the strap as I close the lid. I also used to use a Neotech strap which had quick release clips but was too bulky and wouldn’t fit in the case. Too much hassle to store as well. Just make sure when buying a strap that it is not too wide or too bulky to fit in the case.

3 Likes

I run either a Huber or Harrison leather strap on my main two banjos and they wrap fine around the hooks and fit in a case.

3 Likes

I have a Huber and it fits in the case as well.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how short the Lakota straps can go?

1 Like

I have both a Harrison and a Lakota non-cradle for my resonator-style banjo, and either will wrap around the hooks and I roll the excess into the cavity of the case beneath where the neck meets the pot. The Lakota has a tremendous amount of possible adjustment, and with either strap the range of adjustment depends on how far around you decide to loop and route the narrow part of the strap beneath the pot.

(The Lakota is shown above.)

3 Likes

Thanks for the pics @xmark!

2 Likes

One more quick question. Has anyone had trouble with the Huber strap being too long? It says that the shortest that you can get them is 54 inches, and I am kind of concerned that it might be too long for me.

1 Like

I’m about 5’9 and I use a 54" strap; it’s adjustable based on which hooks you run it under.

3 Likes

@Michael_Mark, how far around the banjo do you have to run it?

1 Like

I hook one end on the second tension hook on the underside of the neck and the other on the seventh; there’s a good bit of adjustability left both ways.

3 Likes

Seventh underneath the neck? Also, do you have any trouble with the banjo trying to flip over forwards when you’re not holding onto it?

1 Like

If you count from the underside of the neck, I have the one end under the first two hooks, then the other end runs the other way under several hooks up to seventh hook from the underside of the neck. With this strap, I don’t have any problems with it flipping over; other cradle straps I’ve used have had that problem but not the Harrison.

3 Likes

I have a Huber. I am about 5’8" (formerly 5’9"). Counting from under the neck, I have one on the sixth loop. I threaded it back under the loops so that it exits near the tail piece. The other end is attached just above the neck. It doesn’t have any tendency to flip.

2 Likes

Here’s the same banjo with the Harrison, just as an FYI…:slightly_smiling_face:

(Just happen to have these photos on hand so I can remember myself for switching back and forth!)
I still claim 6’-0" on my driver’s license…

4 Likes