Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Song Request: Rock Salt & Nails

Anybody got anything for Rock Salt & Nails, J.D. Crowe and the New South style?

3 Likes

I could probably learn Tonyā€™s break if you want a video or tab, etc!

1 Like

Iā€™m not to the point of playing breaks yet. Since I primarily back my singing with guitar playing, and have only been playing a little over a year, I have focused 90% of my time on developing my rhythm. I would just be happy to get the rhythm down solid. Iā€™ve been playing it in G, and havenā€™t quite nailed down how many measures for each chord. Canā€™t find a good video where I can see the guitar fretboard for long enough, and havenā€™t gotten my ears trained well enough to pick out all the chord changes. Iā€™ll keep plugging along, itā€™s good practice, but wouldnā€™t say no to some help.

1 Like

Do you want a chord chart?

Sure, that might be just what I need. Thanks!

1 Like

1 1 1 1
6- (6- 4) 1 1
6- (6- 4) 1 1
4 4 1 1

The New South does this in the key of E, with 3/4 ā€œwaltzā€ timing. Tony is playing out of the D position capoed at 2, but the number chart works for any key.

2 Likes

Awesome!

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming each number represents a measure, so 1111 is 4 measures of the 1 chord, but what about the parentheses? I would guess in a 4/4 song that would be a half measure, but which beat do you change on in 3/4?

1 Like

I used each number to represent two ā€œboom-chick-chickā€ strums. The parentheses denoting a split measure, which in this case, switches after three eighth note beats. So, ā€œboom-chick-chick switch-chick-chickā€. Or, going by the lyrics:

6-       4        1

ā€œWild birds all warble with a low moaning soundā€

1 Like

Okay, so 1 number equals 2 measures. Makes more sense now. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, I guess I condensed it so it would be shorter. Usually 1 number is 1 measure, but even the measure length depends on how you count it :joy:

Listening to this song more, Iā€™m pretty sure 0:21 is the pinnacle of all singing inflection ever recorded.

4 Likes