Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Song Request: Rock Salt & Nails

Anybody got anything for Rock Salt & Nails, J.D. Crowe and the New South style?

3 Likes

I could probably learn Tony’s break if you want a video or tab, etc!

1 Like

I’m not to the point of playing breaks yet. Since I primarily back my singing with guitar playing, and have only been playing a little over a year, I have focused 90% of my time on developing my rhythm. I would just be happy to get the rhythm down solid. I’ve been playing it in G, and haven’t quite nailed down how many measures for each chord. Can’t find a good video where I can see the guitar fretboard for long enough, and haven’t gotten my ears trained well enough to pick out all the chord changes. I’ll keep plugging along, it’s good practice, but wouldn’t say no to some help.

1 Like

Do you want a chord chart?

Sure, that might be just what I need. Thanks!

1 Like

1 1 1 1
6- (6- 4) 1 1
6- (6- 4) 1 1
4 4 1 1

The New South does this in the key of E, with 3/4 “waltz” timing. Tony is playing out of the D position capoed at 2, but the number chart works for any key.

2 Likes

Awesome!

2 Likes

I’m assuming each number represents a measure, so 1111 is 4 measures of the 1 chord, but what about the parentheses? I would guess in a 4/4 song that would be a half measure, but which beat do you change on in 3/4?

1 Like

I used each number to represent two “boom-chick-chick” strums. The parentheses denoting a split measure, which in this case, switches after three eighth note beats. So, “boom-chick-chick switch-chick-chick”. Or, going by the lyrics:

6-       4        1

“Wild birds all warble with a low moaning sound”

1 Like

Okay, so 1 number equals 2 measures. Makes more sense now. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, I guess I condensed it so it would be shorter. Usually 1 number is 1 measure, but even the measure length depends on how you count it :joy:

Listening to this song more, I’m pretty sure 0:21 is the pinnacle of all singing inflection ever recorded.

4 Likes