Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Snark tuner just for me banjo

How good is the Snark tuner? I can’t use my guitar tuners so need to buy a new one. Is there a cheaper version to go for? Which snark is ideal?

I’ve had a few clip-on tuners and for the money, the Snarks are the best I’ve ever tried. I’d say they’re even better than some that are more expensive. Unless you get into the high dollar pro level tuners like a Peterson, I think the Snarks do everything you would want them to. They’re fast, accurate and they pick up the low E on guitar without a problem.

I don’t think they make a Banjo specific tuner, so I would make sure to get an “all instrument” model. These would be the SN-2 (the red one), The SN-8 super tight (whatever that means) in black, or my favorite, the SN-14 (also black but has a large green dot in the middle instead of vertical lines). This one is special order for about 20.00 on Amazon. I like it because it’s easier to see the dot than the lines and has a brighter display. I also have the SN-2 and they both work great on either guitar or mandolin. I would assume it will work just as good on Banjo. The one bad thing about the SN-14 is it works only on vibration, therefore it has to be clipped onto the headstock. The SN-2 and 8 both have a mic and can be switched to either vibration or mic and will pick up the sound if it wasn’t clipped to your headstock. And these two are less expensive.

Other folks here on the site may have something better that they’ve tried, there’s alot out there and I’ve only tried a few, but I’m real happy with my two Snarks. I’d like to know where they got that name.

If all else fails, there’s always tuning forks. Make sure you get the “all Instrument” version. :laughing:

— Begin quote from "jwpropane"

Snarks are the best I’ve ever tried. …I don’t think they make a Banjo specific tuner…The SN-2 and 8 both have a mic and can be switched to either vibration or mic and will pick up the sound if it wasn’t clipped to your headstock.
If all else fails, there’s always tuning forks. Make sure you get the “all Instrument” version. :laughing:

— End quote

Thanks, I got the impression from online reading that the Snark was about the best bang for the bucks. :smiley:

I asked if the SN5 can be used on banjos in a few different places and they all said yes so meanwhile I have ordered that. It does for mandolins apparently but I am never going near one of those. :laughing: :laughing:

The SN5 is chromatic and TBH not one of the Snark models actually says “for the banjo” like they do for the uke. :open_mouth:

As for a mike, I have ones like that for my guitars and bass and they are in the spares box as I always use the plug in ones only. :slight_smile:

We’ll see what this Snark does; for the money I daresy it won’t matter if it is no good - I can always attach it to my acoustics. :wink:

As for tuning forks! We only had that sort of thing back in the '60s and pitch pipes and boy was it a game. We used to get one guitar tuned then he would give us a note for the other guitars. I still have th pipes and forks from those days but they too are in the ‘spares’ box. :frowning:

I wondered for a long time what the super tight meant on the SN8. I came to figure out they mean tight as in more precise tuning. I think I read it somewhere. Anyway, you can’t go wrong with snark. I just bought a super-fly clip on and it is okay but not as good as my SN8.

Only thing I have read is that Snark (I think it was Snark) say the clip should not be used with certain finishes and that covers most finishes. :open_mouth:

— Begin quote from "helijohn"

Only thing I have read is that Snark (I think it was Snark) say the clip should not be used with certain finishes and that covers most finishes. :open_mouth:

— End quote

I hadn’t heard that. I have and use several snarks and haven’t had any issues, nor have I heard of any issues with others who have them. As with any tuner, I wouldn’t want to leave it clipped on all the the time or it will likely have an effect. I’ll leave them on for an hour or two while playing or during lessons or something. Never had a problem.

BTW, my favorite is the red one. I find it gets me close very quickly and then I might sometimes want to fine tune by ear. The tighter tuning one I have is a less forgiving and I end up chasing it a bit longer.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

BTW, my favorite is the red one. I find it gets me close very quickly and then I might sometimes want to fine tune by ear. The tighter tuning one I have is a less forgiving and I end up chasing it a bit longer.

— End quote

Well my black SN5 came today, came in a day! :open_mouth:
It works a treat. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: I had a clip-on for my acoustic but it only showed arrows so I am loving the colour and the dial approach on this. Now I can sort out the intonation in minutes.

As for damaging the finish, it was here where I saw it in a review.

amazon.co.uk/Snark-Exclusive … nark+tuner

As for damaging the finish, it was here where I saw it in a review.

— End quote

I read this review and that is the very tuner that I just bought in December. Mine came with a leaflet, but says nothing about damaging certain finishes. It only states not to leave it attached or it could damage the finish. That review is very recent, so maybe Snark added that since I bought mine (only a month ago though) to cover their … well, you know.

If they are left attached and someone has their instrument in a hot car on a hot day for example, or at a jam in the hot sun, some finishes will soften and damage can occur. Any clip-on, no matter who makes it can damage the finish. To me, this reviewer needs to lighten up and use some common sense.

Be very careful on varnish and french polish, as these are delicate finishes and damage easily.

— Begin quote from "jwpropane"

To me, this reviewer needs to lighten up and use some common sense.

— End quote

— End quote

Absolutely!

It didn’t put me off! :laughing:

I just wonder why they have added any sort of disclaimer. My kit is all old stuff apart from my Rally Big Apple and Aria bass so I am not worried about it and I always use a wired tuner anyway. They would be better warning how fragile the stem on the tuner is. :unamused: