I’m on stage at 1:37:00, 2:15:00 and 2:45:50
I’ll add other videos as I find them

14 Likes

On stage at 2:45:45 and 3:40:15

11 Likes

Oh wow! I mean it too! :joy:

6 Likes

On at 1:19:40 and 1:52:30

I joined the band as a bassist about a minute before we walked on stage, with a bass I borrowed right after I joined the band

9 Likes

so… did you win anything? :grin:

Also, I could’ve been sure that kid playing mandolin on Lonesome Road with you was your twin.

8 Likes

I got 3rd in mandolin and old time banjo, I think I would have done better, but I played original tunes, and the judges don’t like those

7 Likes

That guy sure had a tough time with your name, lol. I don’t know how many times he tried it, but I think they were all different.

8 Likes

Also, I liked it when he asked you if you owned a pair of shoes, ROFL

9 Likes

Let’s see, 30 or so regulars on the forum; maybe if everybody contributes a few dollars… how much is a decent pair of shoes again?

8 Likes

Awesome!

6 Likes

Somewhere around $50 if you want something decent that won’t fall apart immediately. That’s the same price as a decent set of fiddle strings, which is why I don’t have nice shoes. I’d rather go barefoot and have new strings on my fiddle

10 Likes

greatjob1 Gunnar, Great to see you sporting a Banjo Ben Cap

6 Likes

I watched you play, good job buddy.

4 Likes

Awesome Gunnar!!!

4 Likes

Thanks y’all!

I also found this video in which I’m playing dobro (inaudibly) in a jam, probably right before the dobro contest, in which I did not place

3 Likes

Very cool to watch all those performances!
You were busy! Great job(s) I must add!
& Congrats on the placings!

What a small world, I recognize some of the contestants that I happened to see (mind you I didnt watch the entirety) the guy before you on guitar is one. Then, Weston Stewart that played banjo before you. He did shucking the corn, (which he also played at Athens), my son has picked up against him in bluegrass banjo a couple different times. & then there’s the guy w the feather in his hat, Rob Pearcy, (he ALWAYS wears the feather). These guys are regulars every year @ Athens, Ala Fiddler’s convention that we go to.

Nice song(s) selection! Did u have more than 1 song ready for each category? I know Branden (banjoson) usually had a couple xtra songs ready in case someone else was also doing one of his songs. (I realize w the originals theres no worry of that!) At Athens, BG banjos have to perform 2 songs to compete.

Curious as to what song performance won BG banjo…? We had been told years ago that judges frown on “over played show tunes” and am wondering if that is actually so. And yup, heard the same on judges not particularly liking original tunes as well.

Ok I’m apparantly back to my old ways :confounded:, I’ve written a book here…
Enjoyed watching, thanks for posting!

4 Likes

Not really. I barely had one for most of them, but for old time banjo I had to choose between six or seven lol. We got one song each and the finals were also just one tune

Apparently he’s always at the Jamboree, and usually plays guitar for almost everyone

No clue, I didn’t watch the stage except when I was up, otherwise I was jamming lol.

Yeah, I thought it would be frowned on, but I was already in the finals, and I was on TV. So I definitely was gonna get my tunes some publicity

5 Likes

You definitely left your mark on the Smithville Jamboree Presenters., Gunnar

4 Likes

@Dragonslayer are you going to Galax?

2 Likes

Rob Pearcy backed up most of the people at the Georgia mountain fairgrounds last time they had that. A lot of the same people that were there are in that video. Funny how some people just go from contest to contest year round.

5 Likes