Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Show me your's and I'll show you mine

— Begin quote from "chelseankelly"

Where in KY are you from? Lexington area myself!

— End quote

Lexington is great. I still get up there to visit from time to time. I’m from Danville. I grew up there and went to UK and EKU. After that I lived in eastern KY (Allen, near Prestonsburg) for a couple years. Now I am in Texas.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

— Begin quote from "chelseankelly"

Where in KY are you from? Lexington area myself!

— End quote

Lexington is great. I still get up there to visit from time to time. I’m from Danville. I grew up there and went to UK and EKU. After that I lived in eastern KY (Allen, near Prestonsburg) for a couple years. Now I am in Texas.

— End quote

Very nice. I am actually from Nicholasville, so pretty close to Danville. I also went to EKU and then graduated from Asbury.

Nice to see what folks are playing!

I mostly build my own. Here’s my latest that I hope to string up in the next few days…

Beautiful! Do you have any for sale?

Thanks, John. Naw, I haven’t sold any, tho I am running out of space to store 'em. :wink: I will eventually have fix that problem, my wife tells me. I have another fancy style D-42.5 coming back from the finisher next week. Can’t wait to play it, too.

Very nice wood. Any chance you will post an MP3 of what it sound like?

Pretty birdseye and a pretty guitar. You have my curiosity now… what is a style 42.5?

Pretty birdseye and a pretty guitar. You have my curiosity now… what is a style 42.5?

— End quote

I put pearl around the top, fb extension and soundhole, like a style 42. Just couldn’t stop there and added pearl around the back, hence a 42.5, for a bit extra. :sunglasses:

Ps I will post an MP3 of the cutaway as soon as the usb mike arrives here.

(Also, I could not find the model on their current website. Is that a custom model or an earlier model?) I found it they offer it in a sunburst or the flamed maple as you see it in Bad Shots pictures . it sells for around 1400.00 so it is not an entry level but a great instrument I can just feel it in my hands and hearing the good sound that I know would be there. Would really like to play one so I will keep my eyes and ears open and just maybe we will run into one . What they listed was a Blu moon BMS-JTMES jumbo. The flamed maple picture was just like Badshots .

The style 42.5 Dred turned out so nice, I decided to promote it to a style 43.75. :wink:

Finished the set up on Sunday and took it for a test drive. It’s Madagascar Rosewood and torrefied Adirondack Red Spruce.

During the set up, putting in the K&K pure mini.

Nice D43.XX. Can you tell any difference in the sound of the torrified top?

Nice D43.XX. Can you tell any difference in the sound of the torrified top?

— End quote

Not in the least. To me it just sounds like any Martin-style guitar. I think the torrified tops/VTS are a fad, though I concede, I am not the expert. When working the top, it had an aroma reminiscent of the Pancake House (probably the caramelized sugars?). I was almost tempted to bite into it. I do like the coloring of the cooked wood. (Martin has figured out how to prevent the color shift.) There are stability advantages however to the torrification process, but I also used regular Ady braces that theoretically could age differently than the top.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess if it does nothing more than help prevent a top crack, it’s worth the baking time. It’s a nice bonus that it smells good as well.

Both guitars look like a lot of time and detail was spent in building them. My brother is a very skilled woodworker (mostly historic renovations especially timber framing). I keep trying to convince him to jump in and build a guitar. He wants to but says he never has the time.

When I look at finished projects such as yours and his, I see more of the craftmanship than the product itself. Good work.

I haven’t played a pre-aged topped guitar yet. I think maybe Bourgeois may have started it all or maybe it was Huss & Dalton. Seems as though all the builders are offering this now. I do like how they look more aged.