Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Selecting Finger Picks

Man, I love this forum.! Collective knowledge from generations of pickers. I can also find great answers to any question and much encouragement. I was hoping today to get some advice as to what type of finger picks to use. I flat pick for the most part, but use my middle and ring fingers for finger picking while I am holding my flat pick. I guess that is kind of like “chickin pickin,” although I am not very good at that. I would like to try to learn more using a thumb pick and finger picks (index and middle fingers). There are zillions of types of finger picks. I think some people like metal because they can be squeezed to adjust them better to your finger size and, thereby, make them more comfortable. I think I would like to try plastic though because I hear they have a warmer sound. What do ya’ll think?

4 Likes

Hi @Mike1 Welcome back to @BanjoBen 's Forum. @Jake did a video on picks a few weeks back… Check this out

2 Likes

Don’t forget about this one, too: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/all-about-fingerpicks-banjo-beginner

2 Likes

You might want to give Alaska picks a try. They fit over the nail which allows you to back strum along with picking. Chris Proctor introduced these to me eons ago. Fingerstyle guitarists typically use the thumb and 3 fingers rather than 2 as for banjo.
You can shape them to suit your preference with a fingernail file.
Here is an example of my attempt at a Pat Kirtley version of Ghost Riders. He won the National Fingerstyle Guitar championship in 1995 with it. I can’t play it as fast as he does but I tried for smooth instead.
You can see in this example the occasional back brush across the strings as well as just straight picking.

https://vimeo.com/413974425

The nice thing about them is you can use 1,2 or3 as you prefer.

6 Likes

Great picking! What kind of guitar is that? It’s really pretty. I’ve seen several fingerstyle guitarists use those picks, I’d like to try them sometime

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t see your question until now. The guitar is a Taylor 914. Sort of a special edition in maple rather than rosewood.

2 Likes