Rythym Guitar: Red Back hymnal

I pastor a small country church in South Georgia. We do not have any musicians other than a very talented piano player. I have a background in the guitar. I am reaching out to anyone who can help me learn the basics of finding keys, capoing on the right fret and playing rythym to most southern gospel songs and hymns

I’ll help you all I can, brother. The first thing you need to do is go through my basic theory course to get a better handle on keys and transposing. Check it out here: https://banjobenclark.com/courses/introduction-to-music-theory

Let me know when you get done there, or if you have any questions, and we’ll get you going.

I really appreciate that. I will do this and get back with you, thank you

I do have another question. I have a Yamaha Acoustic guitar that i’m playing. I’m looking for a pickup to attach to the guitar to plug into my amp. Any suggestions?

I recommend you go with a soundhole pickup that doesn’t require pro installation. I’ve had good results with the L.R. Baggs, but here is an article that may help: https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear-guides/six-soundhole-pickups-from-simple-to-sophisticated

Andrew, what town are you in? Im in middle ga, but travel to my stompin grounds in Jeff Davis Co frequently. Are you anywhere close by?

Also, Ben’s music theory courses here on the site helped me more than anything. I play almost every Sunday. Even though we don’t do many songs of the hymn book, about 75% of everything we do needs to be capoed. I even find myself moving a capo in the middle of a song because it will typically change keys at least once. We just did a gospel song on Easter called “Yahweh” that changed keys five times.

I work in Coffee County, my church is located in Tombs county. I go through Hazelhurst frequently.

Man it’s a small world. Both my parents work in Douglas, and I spent more time there than I did in Hazlehurst working with my dad growing up. I’ll give you a shout next time I’m in town, maybe we could grab a bite to eat.