Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Roanoke - contest arrangement

I do really think Jake is the best, no debate, because he’s creative and inventive and perfectly clean all the time with no limit on speed. He plays like nobody else plays, and every other player I can think of plays like somebody else. But of course that’s a needless conversation since we all have our favorites… I think this all just started by me saying I don’t compare to Jake. :smile:

4 Likes

I think if I had to pick the guitar player who is the most technically proficient it would definitely be Jake. I mean his speed and accuracy is just scary, and I think he’s a perfect fit for Kentucky Thunder which really showcases the musicians’ skills. But at some point I find even Kentucky Thunder’s music a little bit robotic. I’ve been listening to Bryan Sutton more and I think he may be my new second favorite; he seems (to me at least) to make more sense musically with what he plays.
Jake is definitely faster though from what I’ve seen, and he’s one of those players who can just literally do whatever he wants on the guitar. He’s definitely a very large influence on my playing, and his style is engineered for speed. I wouldn’t be surprised if in a few decades, bluegrass guitar players will be copying Jake Workman licks in the way we copy Tony Rice licks now– his playing is that different.

I love contrasting styles though. I noticed that a lot in the Kenny Smith/Cody Kilby interview– Cody just leaps all over the fretboard and Kenny’s playing is best described as “chill”.

Anyway, I don’t mind if I turn out to be another TR clone, which I probably will :grin:. I still reach for Tony’s music over any other guitar player, unless I want to listen to a song at like 190 BPM.

5 Likes

Thats the best way of putting it.

1 Like