Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Right hand help

For the longest time I’ve been focusing on my left hand, trying to find a way to make my left hand technique more efficient as it is almost always stiff and a little sore probably from my buddy arthritis. But lately I’m beginning to think that I’m having as many issues with my right hand I.e. my picking hand I just don’t seem to be able to get the speed or the accuracy to do all these fancy little runs and licks. I absolutely adore what I see that young lady Libby doing when she plays up and down the neck. I know the neck of my guitar but I’m beginning to wonder if my issues are more related to my right hand as much as my left hand. So much work to do… and I love it, to be honest… Are there any speed drills anyone can recommend? The cool thing about being semi-retired is that now I have time for what I WANT to do… and this bluegrass thing be it.
Mr g

7 Likes

Out of curiosity what RH position do you use? E.g. do you float or plant your wrist, etc. I know that’s the first thing @Flatpickin_Libby will bring up :wink:

3 Likes

@Mr_G, if you haven’t checked this one out, it is time that you do it. Lesson Preview - Pick Accuracy Exercise - Guitar ★ Banjo Ben Clark ★

I think it is all in the right hand for speed. Hitting the strings clean is one of the prerequisites for speed.

2 Likes

I got a lot of friends and you just made the list! Thank you!

2 Likes

Well thanks @Mr_G! You’re very kind. I have so much still to learn - so much left hand stuff I haven’t yet discovered. But I agree with you, I love knowing there’s more to learn! :grinning:

When I took my first guitar lesson I told my teacher I thought my left hand was preventing me from playing fast. To my surprise he told me my left hand looked fine and the problems were all my right hand. I don’t know your go-to right hand position, but there are general techniques that are foundational for gaining speed: no anchoring/planting to the point that it stops your movement and causes tension, a relaxed blend of wrist rotation and full arm movement from the elbow, and a proper understanding of pick stroke directions. Although I’d guess that you probably understand all that already. Those are just my general thoughts! I’m sure @BanjoBen has better ones.

4 Likes

All well and good discussing the geography up the neck of the guitar, but I still maintain that it’s only there to keep the first 3-4 frets in the right place to form “cowboy chords”.

1 Like

hmm… Libby is with me on that! :slight_smile:

:+1:

1 Like

My right hand mostly floats… at the most my pinkie may just brush the top of the guitar. Kiddo I love what you did on blackberry blossom. That’s the kind of stuff I am working on and want to get better with.

7 Likes

Just kidding about the neck geography, but if you watch video of the recognized “dazzling” flatpickers you will see open fist vs closed, planted palm, anchored pinky, floating free hand/arm, etc. The real conclusion seems to be practice and finding what works for you, but obviously with technique allowing freedom in your right hand. Remember what it is that gets you to Carnegie Hall.

3 Likes

You need to have a strong technique or your practice will just strengthen the bad habits. “Practice practice practice” isn’t good for someone with a poor position/technique. First that needs to be fixed… in my humble opinion! And I know by experience. I had to go backwards - majorly - before going forwards. I made big technique changes in 2019, which took me months to recover from before I felt I could play comfortably again. But I am so glad I did!

4 Likes

Sorry but. You have no idea what I’m going to bring up first!

3 Likes

I redid my right hand in 2019 too, I’ll tell you that it’s not easy for sure, but I’m so happy I did! It’s SO much more comfortable and efficient. The way you’re holding the pick also has a lot to do with not having tension.

6 Likes