Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Remembering JD Crowe

I woke up to the news today. Did anyone ever get to meet JD Crowe? I’d love to hear your stories. I will spend all day listening to him today.

11 Likes

Was just coming here to post this photo I found online. Unfortunately I never got to meet him but I always really wanted to have him sign my banjo.

11 Likes

I have the JD Ctowe snd the New South playing now myself

8 Likes

Crowe was and is my favorite banjo player and I am so touched by his playing and his leadership.

Tony left Christmas Day last year and this year J.D. on Christmas Eve… the musical heroes of yesterday are leaving mighty big shoes to fill. As we move on, we can’t forget the ones we are indebted to and we must keep their legacy alive.

I will be praying for all J.D.'s family and friends during this time. :heart: :banjo:

15 Likes

Amen Brother lets not forget.

7 Likes

R.I.P. JD you will be sorely missed

6 Likes

JD literally taught me how to wear my picks. I’m sad for sure. In my opinion, he was the best there ever was.

24 Likes

There’s a really good 2 part interview with JD on S1, E1 of the Walls of Time podcast.

4 Likes
8 Likes

Oh my goodness. Tony Rice last Christmas and now JD Crowe. My personal banjo hero and, in my opinion, took the Scruggs style to a whole new level. He was the best. RIP JD. Your legacy is up there with the greats.

7 Likes

When I first started playing one of my aunts told me to listen to Jimmy Martin & to J. D. Crowe & The New South. I took her advice and discovered a sound that has stuck with me the rest of my life.

When I first heard The New South live in '75 at Bean Blossom, I was floored. My uncle told me to lift my jaw off my lap…haha They had a smoothness & coordination to their music that was unheard of in the bluegrass scene at the time.

Since then J.D. has been one of my biggest heroes and influences in music. Yes, for his playing, but more so for his singing, influence on the music, and band leadership.

I’ve had the privilege to meet him a few times at shows we both played, and opened for him at a State Fair once.

He will be sorely missed by many.

10 Likes

Never met him, but would have loved the opportunity to do so. What I can say is an opportunity to play his old banjo once fell into my lap…last year…quite literally! Here’s the story: I never played with J D Crow, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night

6 Likes

Your story is the type I love to hear. I can only imagine how cool that was for you to play his banjo.

2 Likes