Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Red Haired boy - improvising

My try on improvising on Red HAired Boy! :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=jQkTQ2UxanA

/David

Very nice! How much of that break did you have figured out ahead of time and how much was figured out on the fly?

That is a difficult questionā€¦ I havenā€™t memorized other than the melody and chord changes, so if I made one more recording of the song it wouldnā€™t sound the same, although you would hear similarities in how I develop the Phrases. I consider this as close to a ā€œon the flyā€ improvisation as I can get :slight_smile:.

ItĀ“s a funny thing how a song grows in you after playing it a couple of weeks. The song becomes more of an emotion rather than just chords and melody.

/David

ā€” Begin quote from ____

ItĀ“s a funny thing how a song grows in you after playing it a couple of weeks. The song becomes more of an emotion rather than just chords and melody.

ā€” End quote

Too true :exclamation:

Man, that sounds good! Very nice!

Thanks for the kind words!

ā€” Begin quote from "ozicaveman"

ā€” End quote

Too true :exclamation:

ā€” End quote

Yes it is :smiley:

And when youā€™re trying to sleep at night that song is running through your head over and over again, developing phrases all by itself :slight_smile:

Nice David! I like how you work down to the lower octave and up to the higher one. Sweet!

That is a difficult questionā€¦ I havenā€™t memorized other than the melody and chord changes, so if I made one more recording of the song it wouldnā€™t sound the same

ā€” End quote

I ask because I feel like I use different degrees of improvisation at different times. Sometimes Iā€™ll work things out note-for-note, other times Iā€™ll just have a general idea of licks or postions on the fretboard Iā€™d like to use without working out exact notes, and other times I just work off the melody and wing it from there.

I think your break was more structured than I could have pulled off without some preconceived ideas. Very impressive.

ā€” Begin quote from "ldpayton"

That is a difficult questionā€¦ I havenā€™t memorized other than the melody and chord changes, so if I made one more recording of the song it wouldnā€™t sound the same

ā€” End quote

I ask because I feel like I use different degrees of improvisation at different times. Sometimes Iā€™ll work things out note-for-note, other times Iā€™ll just have a general idea of licks or postions on the fretboard Iā€™d like to use without working out exact notes, and other times I just work off the melody and wing it from there.

I think your break was more structured than I could have pulled off without some preconceived ideas. Very impressive.

ā€” End quote

I can see what you mean! Although I think those preconceived (thats todays new english word for me :smiley: ) ideas are necessary to make a deep dive into a song, and really improvise over the motion of the song rather than just throwing away a few catchy licks mixed with melody. I would consider that to be the hard work of learning to improvise over a tune.

I really like where this discussion is going! :smiley:

/David

I think you are right. My approach to improvizing feels different depending on my familiarity with a song. When a song is new to me I pretty much stick to the melody and insert a few stock licks, but after a few times through, I start coming up with ideas specific to the song.

In this Flatpicking Guitar Magazine podcast, Tyler Grant talks about the difference in how he approaches contest picking versus improvising. Some of these podcasts are nothing but fluff, but I thought this one offered some good technical info.
[attachment=0]FGM_Podcast_19.mp3[/attachment]

Nice playing guy!

ā€” Begin quote from "hugokleinhans"

Nice playing guy!

ā€” End quote

Thankā€™s!

Larry:

I listened to the podcast and found some really interesting perspectives on soloing and creating soloā€™s. Now I just got to listen to the rest of them and IĀ“ll be heading for a championship :laughing:

/David

I like listening to the podcasts in the car. They contain a lot of chit-chat, but there is usually some good info to be gleaned from each one. I think Iā€™ve listened to about half of them.

http://flatpick.libsyn.com/

Been away from the forum and just had a listen - I would be soooo pleased if I could come up with something like that :mrgreen:
Great stuff - letā€™s hear more!

Hey, why isnā€™t there an applause smiley???