Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Quick Query F#Dim

Hi Guy’s need some help with F#Dim Chord - I am tabbing out an exercise and I need help on how to tab a one measure strum pattern of F#Dim

So I think I have the down beat ( a 4 on the D string ) the strum 212 on the bottom three strings. It’s the note on the third beat I am having problems with. It’s in 4/4 timing

2 Likes

Hi Archie, if I play the above pattern, I’d probably do F# down, C up, A down, C up.

In your pattern, the way to strum it could be to do hybrid picking with both F# (D string and E string) with pick and middle and then do C up with pick, A down with pick and then C up with pick.

Or F# 4th string down, bottom 3 up, bottom 3 down, bottom 3 up.

2 Likes

Hi @JohnM

I guess I didn’t explain myself too well. I am not a guitar player so I am dancing in the dark here. Here is the measure I need help with.

F%23dim

2 Likes

I’d do either 2nd fret 3rd string, or 2nd fret 6th string.

(I’m assuming you’re just doing this in TablEdit and not playing it. If I was actually playing it, I’d probably avoid 2nd fret 6th string, as it is a bit of a contorted position.)

1 Like

Hi @Michael_Mark Yes it just for TAB purposes .

What I am actually doing is TABbing out a Diatonic Chord Ascending Exercise G Am Bm C D Em F#Dim G

The suggestions you gave don’t sound right somehow. A bit off key to my ear.

1 Like

Hi Archie, I provided a couple of strum patterns for the exact chord depicted in your picture. I understand I didn’t communicate it well enough earlier.

So here it is, again,

4th string (F# note) DOWN stoke, 3rd-2nd-1st strings (A note, C note, F# note) UP stroke, 3rd-2nd-1st strings DOWN, 3rd-2nd-1st strings UP.

OR
4th string (F# note) and 1st string (F# note) HYBRID PICK using pick and middle finger (basically a pull with pick and a finger), and then 2nd string (C note) UP using pick, 3rd string (A note) DOWN using pick, and then 2nd string (C note) UP using pick.

String numbering order - low to high - 6,5,4,3,2,1 like below.

2 Likes

Try the open A note (5th string); that might sound a little more pleasing.

1 Like

Still confused @JohnM As I said I am no guitar player.

1 Like

That open A string sounds much better @Michael_Mark Thank you

1 Like

OK, so you catch the chord in the picture, and then play the 4 th string with a down stroke, then do the bottom 3 strings with an up stroke, down stroke and up stroke alternating. Does this make sense now?

I guess you attempted was 4th string with a down stroke and then you hit the bottom 3 string with a down stroke again and you couldn’t get your 3rd beat right, right? if so, for the second beat reverse the order to do an upstroke, you will do fine, with 3rd beat coming on a down stroke.

2 Likes

There are no up strokes in the TAB all down strokes.

1 Like

OK I get it now. So 4th string Down, bottom 3 Up, then do an empty swing with a down (don’t hit anything), then bottom 3 up.

2 Likes

Thanks @JohnM I am happy to go with @Michael_Mark suggestion. I appreciate your help.

2 Likes

@Archie, Michael’s suggestion of 3rd string 2nd fret (A note) for the missing note makes perfect sense to me! cool.

2 Likes

Hi @Archie,
I’m not entirely sure as to what your trying to achieve with the tab but if it helps here’s what the F#dim chord is.

4th string 4th fret
3rd string 2nd fret
2nd string 1st fret
1st string 4th fret
This one’s based off of the y shape (what a F major looks like)

If you want one that’s based off of the x position (like the D major chord)

4th string 8th fret
3rd string 5th fret
2nd string 7th fret
1st string 8th fret

There both kind of stretchers for chords😜
If you want to know what defines a diminished chord it is a chord which contains the flatted 5th and 3rd tones of the scale. The second chord doesn’t flat the fifth though because it doesn’t contain the fifth in the chord.
Not sure if this helps but I hope it does!

1 Like

Thanks @banjoboyk Kaleb much appreciated. As I said earlier I was just looking for a note in the F#dim range that sounded good against a banjo lick in TablEdit. Since I don’t play Guitar all this is alien to me and every thing I tried just didn’t come out sounding right. It may well have been down to the limited quality of midi in TablEdit. If you look at the measure of TAB you will see the measure starts on the down beat with a fretted 4th string at the 4th fret, this sounds good as do the bottom three strings 212 strummed together. The ? note not sure what guitar players call that - Back Beat I guess, was the note I was seeking. The open A string ( which @Michael_Mark suggested ) sounds fine moving forward…

2 Likes

Archie, just a note for future reference:

You can always repeat the root note for the second bass note.

Many times (like when heading for the 5 of the chord you’re on) it can actually be preferable. I also like using it on short duration chords…makes them stand out a bit better.

The A should work well also as it is a good leading tone to the G being the 2nd tone of that scale, an a part of the F# dim triad.

1 Like

Thanks Dave much appreciated. I seem to have most basic chords figured on in TablEdit. Well not so much chords but single bass notes that are are played over chords. I am now trying to figure out some basic bass runs, just to add a bit of colour to my TAB TEF files. Always open to suggestions if you have any.

You can always PM me on something specific, I’d be glad to help.

1 Like

Thanks Dave, I have nothing in mind at the moment but I am grateful knowing you there if I have a specific query.

2 Likes