Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Quick C?

I’ve been playing banjo at jams, so I am often watching the guitar player’s hands on unfamiliar songs to get up to speed and learn the chord progression. Anyway, I’ve noticed some of them when switching back and forth from G to C will make a C that i think is x320x3. I only play a little bit of guitar and I have never really used this C chord shape. Do you guitar players on here use this C shape very much?

3 Likes

Great question. I’m in the same boat, thrown off by partial chord cheats on faster tunes. I started guitar just for this reason but still haven’t picked up their tricks yet. Hopefully a lot of people chime in on this.

2 Likes

All the time! We usually base it out of the bluegrass G chord (3x0033) and just move the index/middle. x32033 (Cadd9)

9 Likes

That’s especially prevalent in worship guitarists. I’ll also play an Em7 and a Dsus4 with the 3rd fret anchored on the B and e strings. When I know someone is following my hand, I’ll try to quit doing that.

5 Likes

Personally I don’t like to sit on the “bluegrass cheater” C if there’s several measures of a IV chord. I’ll typically only do it for fast IV chords. I think the true C with the pinky added so you can alternate bass with the low G sounds best for a IV chord you’re actually sitting on.

8 Likes