Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Question about Harmony

Hey folks… one of the things I do is compose music - I have written for choirs, (SATB), orchestras and even did music for a short film (that was fun!). I noticed the interest at the BB camp this last week in Nashville when Ben and his sisters demonstrated how they figure out vocal harmonies. Would you all like a small series of videos about how I write for duets, trios and quartets?
mr g

paige%20coffee%202

9 Likes

Who could say no to that? I’d love to hear that. I believe Ben also demonstrated in one of his lessons - going higher up or lower up for the seconds.

In “All to Jesus, I surrender”, the soprano and tenor starts like this, if I’m not wrong, for the stanza. In the key of A,
(A chord = A C# E, D chord = D F# A, E chord = E G# B). However, I don’t see the link between B and D in the second phrase. OK it has to be D related minor Bm. (Bm = B, D, F#).

All to Jesus,     I surrender,    All to thee,   I freely give.
 Soprano -   C#  C#  D   C#    B   B   C# B    A   A   D C#   B C# A
 Tenor   -   E   E   F#  E     D   D   E  D    C#  C#  F# E   D E C#

Chords  -   A   A   D   A     Bm  Bm  A  Bm   A   A   D  A   Bm A A
2 Likes

Parallel 6ths are ALWAYS good! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Sounds cool, but that’s going way above my head! :wink:

1 Like

I bet it’s not! Tell you what… I will buy you dinner if you cannot complete an assignment based on what I show you.

3 Likes

Deal! :+1:

1 Like

I think it would be great.

1 Like

I’d love to see that!

2 Likes

Yes indeed!

2 Likes

Do it, please!

2 Likes

People keep complaining about my minor 2nd harmonies, so I think I need something like what you propose.

1 Like

Some folks just don’t appreciate dissonance!

2 Likes

As long as it’s justified at some point it’s great.

1 Like

I’m only one fret away from something better.

2 Likes

Hey folks… I am beginning a series of short videos under the topic What can Amazing Grace teach us? Part 1 of a series

I will be covering using numbers, finding harmony parts for two voices, three voices and four voices.
Enjoy!!!
mr g

2 Likes

I watched this and now I am stuck singing My Girl all day.:grinning:

Will these videos be part of the lessons for the site or just post in the Music Theory Forum?

2 Likes

Great question! Currently I am just posting to the forum. That’s Ben’s call. I am just working to add to the collective music theory nerdery at the moment! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

The plan is to have @Mr_G run his own course on the new site when it launches…for now he’s just making us more hungry :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You too? :grin:

“What can make me feel this way?”

1 Like

the answer is obvious. My girl. Duh.2022-05-06_09-17-59

3 Likes