Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Question about capo.?

The paige capo in the general store. The one for banjo looks exactly like the one for guitar. Are these the same. Can you use one capo for both instruments or are theu different. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi Teddy,

Here is my impressions… The difference is the capo width. So my guess is, in the case of Paige capos, a Paige 6-string guitar capo should work for banjo and mandolin too. That said, you might NOT want to use a Kaiser guitar capo for banjo as the grip/pressure is not adjustable like the Paige ones through a nut adjustment.

I’m no banjo player so I’m also equally interested in hearing our experts advice on this!

2 Likes

Ya i like the paige. I have used other caps and the spring tension wears out over time. Ive never had a paige, but like the looks and also the fact you can leave it on the headetock behind the nut when not in use. So its always there when you need it

3 Likes

Hi Teddy, Best folks to ask about capos is @Jake or @BanjoBen. Give them a call at the General Store

1 Like

Ok, so a paige guitar capo will be awesome for guitar, and will also fit mandolins and banjos. A paige mandolin/banjo capo will NOT fit a guitar it is too narrow. If you want one for guitar, make sure you get the guitar one

4 Likes

Why not just ask them…good folks, & friends of mine
I’m Sure they’d be happy to discuss it with you

Another factor is the extra capo hanging form the neck may inhibit certain positions.

3 Likes

Another factor for how well a capo will work is the radius. If you use a radiused capo on a flat fretboard it won’t work well.

4 Likes

Only on some instruments…

2 Likes

You offer up a great observation here @Mike_R The neck on my Stelling Masterflower is much narrower than my Fender FB 58. The Page Capo fits snug on the Fender but a little loose on the Stelling. I have to keep readjusting each time I swap banjos. Think I need to buy another capo.

1 Like

Radius of the neck is also to be considered.

On certain models you may make contact with only the edge of the protective pad, causing them to wear faster…

3 Likes

If you’re buying the banjo capo, in addition to matching the fingerboard radius as Mike pointed out, also know that it’s only wide enough for the first 4 frets. I’d never thought about using the guitar capo on a banjo. I suppose you probably could. I just wonder if there’s a down side to using a capo that’s too wide.

2 Likes

Well, it gets in the way of your hand when you play down the neck

2 Likes

Good answers here, but the guitar one is radiused and longer. The length is not a problem with banjo…it’ll just hang over the fingerboard a bit. But the radius is a problem if your banjo neck is not radiused. I mean, it’ll “work”, but it won’t be as in tune as it could be. The banjo capo will not work on the guitar neck…it’ll be too short to stretch across all 6 strings.

2 Likes

Thanks. Just to be safe i will just get both. Save hassle of transfering between instruments also.

2 Likes