Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Possibly true banjo story

I heard this story at third or fourth hand (or more), but it was told to me as a true story.
I live 14 miles away from the resort area of Myrtle Beach. Many years ago Earl Scruggs made an appearance here when he was touring with his sons as “The Earl Scruggs Revue.” As they finished playing and were leaving the stage Earl took a bad step and fell from the stage and sustained a cut and bump to his head. Earl was able to get to his feet with the help of his boys, and they decided to take him to the emergency room on their bus rather than wait for an ambulance. As they got Earl seated and comfortable, he said, “How’s my old banjo, boys? Did I bust her up real bad?”
One of the boys said, “I’ve got it right here, Daddy. You didn’t even knock it out of tune.”
Earl said, “Well, I must have knocked it in tune then, 'cause I ain’t been able to tune her all night.”

I don’t doubt it. Sounds plausible to me.

Where are you located in SC? I used to go to Garden City/Murrell’s Inlet pretty regularly when I was a kid/teenager. I loved that area.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

I don’t doubt it. Sounds plausible to me.

Where are you located in SC? I used to go to Garden City/Murrell’s Inlet pretty regularly when I was a kid/teenager. I loved that area.

— End quote

I live in Conway, which is about 14-20 miles inland from the whole “Grand Strand” vacation area. My family does have a small house in Garden City, though.

Sorry, apparently I answered your question in the wrong place.

The response looks fine to me. Thanks! Your post last night got me thinking about it and I looked up the area we used to go on google maps. It looks like it has continued to develop north of the pier, but south of the pier it looks like it is still mainly houses and smaller units. I see Sam’s corner is still there… chili dog for breakfast anyone? I probably put enough quarters in Galaga in the arcade there to buy one (slight exaggeration). One of these days I might have to head to your neck of the woods for a vacation again.

Sorry for the thread highjack… now back to the regularly scheduled program.

If you come this way let me know, and we’ll get together to pick if you have time while you’re vacationing.
Your mentioning Sam’s Corner reminded me of a running discussion my daughter and I have about whether Sam’s Hot Dogs are really “World Famous” as the sign says. She asked me once “Do you think they’ve heard of them in Norwegia?” I said ,“Do you mean Norway?” This of course embarrassed her, but it lead to a discussion over if people from Norway are Norwegians, why aren’t people from our little town of Conway called Conwegians.

We’ve tried to start a movement, but it hasn’t caught on so far.

I have a tendency to digress.

I think my Dad and I had a similar discussion about them being “world famous.”

I will certainly let you know if I head that way. I would love to come pick with some authentic Conwegians.