Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Picking with dogs

So, this was primarily for my sister who lives outta state & her dog is totally **petrified ** when I pull out the mandolin, or anyone else pulls out any instrument. Here, our pets are used to all the instruments & music. I told her our pets ( dogs/cats) actually come to where music is being played and hang out. She said no way, I said way! So today I did this short video for her, but I’m also sharing it with yall cuz I know there’s several of you with pets that can relate. Sometimes the big dog crowds me so much its awkward to even play! (Dont mind the rumpled up looking couch, I keep em covered with sheets etc cuz of the pets!!)

10 Likes

I get used for a pillow if I’m playing fiddle.

My furniture is kept covered as well…covers are not as pretty but easier to replace when torn up.

5 Likes

My daughter Meli plays this one on the fiddle and it’s driving her crazy trying to remember the name of this Tune. What’s the name?

3 Likes

Nice picking! It’s cool that your dogs like it.

It’s called the cliffs of Moher

4 Likes

Meli says …“Oh yeah…that’s right!.” Thank-you Gunnar!

1 Like

When I sit down with the banjo (or mandolin) next to my dog, she gives me a hard stare, gives me a little growl (if it’s the banjo) and moves as far away as possible. I wish a had a bluegrass loving dog. Or a bluegrass loving family. :wink:

5 Likes

Both my dogs love it when I play. Duke gets as close to me as he can. They both go to sleep when I play. Not sure if that is a good or bad sign :joy: So glad I have dogs that enjoy bluegrass.

3 Likes

@Fiddle_wood, Cant really see it because he is so dark, but the black dog’s got his head on my leg like a pillow, I know what you mean! & yes while those mismatched sheets dont look the best, they’re super easy to keep clean & swap out, unlike upholstery!

3 Likes

@Deere_Crossing yup, Gunnar has got it - The Cliffs of Moher!

2 Likes

@D_HRRFan7303 your dog’s kinda like my sister’s dog but a little braver… you cant even sit near him, hes long gone as far away as possible with freaked out eyes so big they look like they’re gonna pop out of his head! I guess you’ve gotta start them off young? Ours are all rescue dogs, & under a year old when we got them from the pound.

2 Likes

@Dragonslayer Thank you! I was pretty sure you knew that one! I’ve been breaking up camp practice songs (not going as good as I’d like them to go :thinking:) with Irish songs cuz tis the season and they’re so fun to play. The dogs & the cats like it. I will say dogs are much easier to pick with than cats. Dogs sit on your feet, lean on you like a pillow, but the cats, they actually get up on you

5 Likes

@Lone_Wolf yup ours love it two (we have 3 dogs) &they all like it & actually the two in the vid were trying to go to sleep, & I’ve also wondered, “man is this so bad I’m putting them to sleep or so good they’re content enuff to sleep!” I’m definitely overanalyzing lol🤣!!

2 Likes

I know what you mean. My dogs don’t like the vacuum cleaner but they’re ok with my banjo playing so at least i don’t sound like the vacuum cleaner :rofl: That’s a little reassuring

5 Likes

Mine either they bark their fool heads off over it.
So then its agreed at least neither of us sound like the vacuum :+1:t2: :grin::grimacing: !

4 Likes

Mine look at the vacuum and walk around it close to the wall as they can :joy:

2 Likes

Good job @Simone Next time your sisters dog visits, give the :guide_dog: a few minutes to smell the mandolin before you play. Play some low notes and let the :dog2:: sniff again. Then give the :service_dog: a treat. Repeat the process a few times soon he/she will be snuggling on the sofa with the other dogs whilst you play.

Just one final question. Is your sister **petrified ** of the mandolin. It could be that she is passing on her apprehension to the dog.:dog::dog::dog:

3 Likes

Sounds great @Simone . I remember an episode of The Andy Griffith Show where a goat stays calm with Barney’s harmonica playing. For the record your mandolin sounds better than Barney’s harmonica.

7 Likes

Ours is a rescue too, got her around 12 weeks, but I didn’t start playing music for a few months after we got her.

2 Likes

And A LOT better than Barney’s cymbals… :wink:

7 Likes

HA HA @D_HRRFan7303. I guess old Barney was a multi-instrumentalist. :grinning:

7 Likes