Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Picking with dogs

Definitely better than his singing voice :joy:

5 Likes

My dogsā€™ only reaction to my music is when I play harmonica, they howl. And I have no clue if thatā€™s good or badā€¦ but they live outside and I usually play inside

4 Likes

Thanks @Archie !
We did try showing her dog the mando in a quiet way so he could sniff it, but he wasnt having any of that, he was quite sure it was not to be trustedā€¦:slightly_frowning_face: (perhaps in my hands that is true lol :rofl::thinking:!!) & my sister likes string music, she just doesnā€™t play any of it herselfā€¦

3 Likes

Thank you @Stuart.Gamble ! :grin:

3 Likes

It can take time with many repetitionsā€¦it did with Otisā€¦heā€™s afraid of every thing new.

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget the treat, once the dog associates the mandolin a treat it will help to calm him. It may take a few attempts.

3 Likes

I used to have a cat (Sam) that loved guitar. He would come hang out when he heard it. He especially liked it when it was a classical piece. Heā€™d get real close to the guitar and purr loudly. As a result of my time with Sam, I got used to that. I thought it was kind of neat that music seemed to be a universal language. A dog (Gandalf) adopted me years later. I was surprised when I noticed that he would slink off whenever an instrument was in hand. I took it as an assessment of my playing. :laughing: Over time, I figured out that it was certain guitars he didnā€™t like. I wondered (still do) if it was something about the overtones. Anyway, Gandalf has been with me 8 years now and he hangs around regardless of which instrument I grab (or how poorly I play it).

5 Likes