Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

“Pick of Doom”

https://banjoben-discourse-upload.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/2X/9/9c41dad8327122fa7e5cda0563903fa9405b425b.jpeg

Recorded with my son Saturday… we have decided my new pick is henceforth known as the “Pick of Doom”. He loved the way my guitar sounded with it, and could definitely hear the difference between it and the Dunlops I usually used.

3 Likes

Very nice. Given the name, you could put a little red paint in the labeling.

3 Likes

Wise choice.

Although I have 5-8 new blue chips waiting? It’s hard for me to give up the one I have had in my hand for 7 long years now.

Good Picks!

3 Likes

Before buying my “pick of doom” I was SOOOOOO skeptical that it could make THAT much difference. I was wrong. For me, it is a game-changer.

4 Likes

I’ve been the same way. May need to try one.

Mason I do not know your “skill level” so it’s hard for me to say… But if you are beginner - intermediate? You may not view it for it’s value at first…until you lose it 3 months later and have to revert back to your old pick…that’s when you will say “wow this thing is a dud compared to that blue chip, I can’t believe I actually picked with this thing”. Then you toss it on the stand or in a drawer, and there it lays for years catching dust and cob webs.

Intermediate +. Takes about 4-8 hours to say “yep, got me a new pick, better order a couple before I lose this one”.

3 Likes

I’d say I’m high intermediate/low advanced.

1 Like

That’s what I’d consider my level to be.

I roll with the TAD 40. I would probably be better served to move up to the 60 when it comes to lead, but a 60 finds me fighting the pick while playing rhythm a little bit, so the TAD 40 is the logical compromise for my playing style/lack of talent.

1 Like

Dag nabbit!

My TD60 turned into ether and must have gone to you… I’ve been upending everything to find that little sucker. There I was… sitting in my peaceful home office pretending to work. The guitar was on my lap and “Chippy” was singing so sweetly. Someone called me downstairs and little Chippy must have taken that opportunity to turn into ether and disappear! Terrible! I’ve been a cranky cranker since then!

I would love to tell you that the reason I haven’t uploaded Blackberry Blossom at 100bpm is because my TD60 is gone missing… but that wouldn’t be quite honest.

Lost Blue Chip sympathizers unite!

6 Likes

When you go back to looking you may find that “Chippy” has turned into 20 Primetones. Good luck with the search. Regards from El Paso.

3 Likes

My dear friends – thank you for all the flowers and warm notes of condolence.

Chippy and I have managed to reconcile our differences and we have once again reunited. Chippy had been perched next to several photos of friends and family on my bookshelf, perhaps questioning why she was not included in such photos. These are complicated subjects for even the most learned.

Anyway, with our relationship back on track, I must somehow tackle those last darn 10bpm and get to 100bpm on ol’ Blackberry Blossom aka my current nemesis… or I could just upload the darn 90 bpm version. Decisions decisions.

3 Likes

Nothing like “bedroom remodels”…been there and done that. Clothes hampers, drawers, ha ha. Analyzed bedroom like a forensic crime scene, tag label, box…

Oh, and go ahead and bring the vacuum, It’s a chance to finally get those cobwebs and dust bunnies since you are going to be in/under/behind there looking anyway.

2 Likes

He is a pro! :wink: https://youtu.be/UPwwgFBQXmY?t=365

1 Like

Not quite, but thanks :joy:

1 Like

I can send you a dollar for your playing. Then it would be official!

2 Likes

Haha, I’ve made money from it before but I guess I consider “pro” to be a skill level that I haven’t reached.

2 Likes

Has anyone here ever worn one out? I think I’ve had mine for 4 years now and I can’t see any wear on it.

1 Like

I saw one person on this forum that had worn a thumbpick down a bit. What most figured was that it must have been wearing on the banjo head (which I am shocked would wear it). I have BC flatpicks that are about 10 years old that I have never had to shape the edge. In my opinion, they are all but impervious to string wear.

3 Likes

Yep the tip of my thumb pick is worn just a little but far from worn out. My flat pick has no wear.

1 Like

Mine have gotten a little smoother after several years of use. In my opinion that just improves them. Jake has told me his get noticeably worn down and rounder after a long time, but I haven’t played like that enough to do it to mine!

3 Likes