Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Ouch hahahha

So I have been practicing, trying to figure out how to hold it comfortably after all the time with the banjo my wrist and fingers don’t wanna work properly the wrist is killing me and my damn fingers are so fat I haven’t been able to play a cord properly yet.
Also when I slide from free to fret my fingers make a squel sound on the string is that from my calosus, and if so will that stop.

1 Like

There will always be at least a small degree of that scraping sound on occasions. You can even hear it on the recordings of the worlds best musicians.

eg. Led Zepplin “Stairway to Heaven”, there’s a big string scrape at the beginning of the second verse.

2 Likes

You could say, it adds a special nuance to the song. :grin:

1 Like

There’s no way your fingers are fatter than this guy’s. Just keep working at 'em. You got this!

2 Likes

All part of the journey. Just think… a year from now you can look back on this post and realize how far you’ve come.

1 Like

Looking forward to it

1 Like

Part of the journey!

1 Like

And he’s playing a Uke

1 Like

Aw that’s nothin @jwstafinski, you’ll get used to it. I play banjo and recently took up mando and suffered two blood letting slices in the tip of my pointer finger sliding from fret 1 to 2 on the first strings. It was a blood bath I tell ya. Well, maybe not quite that bad. Certainly not as bad as that paper cut on my eyeball that one time. Eh, you’ve been through worse.

You can do it John, I’m counting on you. John, you’re in Orlando right? I’m in Clearwater. I need someone to jam with, so get on it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used to live in Orlando I actually moved to Brunson SC 3 years ago I am sorry that would have been awesome. I am an hour west of Charleston and exactly and hour And 15 min away from Savannah and Augusta and an hour straight South of Columbia.

Does anyone here have Facebook if so jw stafinski is my Facebook page

Dang. One of these days, I want to take a road trip around the country hitting bluegrass festivals and stop and jam with people from this forum. That would be so neat.

1 Like

Ya it would

1 Like

The string scraping will never stop, I actually love to hear it in a song! The guitar looks awesome, I have played one of those before and they are great guitars!

1 Like