Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Old habits are hard to break

I have played the tune under the double eagle most of my playing life , I can go along with Ben fairly well but when I get to his different strokes I do have a problem and I know you need to learn just as the lesson but it is almost a disadvantage if you know the tune a certain way. I will learn his licks because I like the way it sounds and I have couple of notes that are not in it but still sounds good . Old ways are hard to break so listen close the first time LOL. Is any one having that problem where you have played it a certain way and then you try and learn it someone Else’s way , just wondered ???

Yessir. I have a brutal time unlearning things. Not just songs, but technique as well. For example, I have a flying pinky on my left hand, and I haven’t been able to make it stop… might not ever happen. I also always “pull” on a pull off unless I am paying attention (sometimes a push is better than a pull). The good thing about learning a song a new way, is that once you master it you can mix and match for different verses or speeds. For me, I just have to slow it down and trudge through it until I re-train the fingers.

In education circles, the problem you describe is well known and is due to what they call the law of primacy… we will tend to things the way we first learn. As much as I disliked it, I guess my fundamentals of learning class comes in handy some days.

I am no teacher although I could teach basic things such as chords and timing. I have used the old band in a box a Korg PSS60 for many years to practice with I have a good sense of timing and what it takes to get there. I made a Cd years ago on the fly made one attempt at several songs and tunes and it turned out just as it should, amateurish but it did sound fair . But that was many moons ago when the little Indian boy lived on the shores of gitchigoomi (spelling) oh well you get the drift. I did not know they had a nomenclature for the old habits but why not. I guess I am not alone .

I have the same problem with pull-offs. I just can’t seem to push on those, it feels all wrong. They are called pull-offs not push-offs though. :laughing:

Old habits can be broken, it just takes willpower, time & dedication. I find that it’s real easy to slip back into the bad habits during playing & practicing. I’ve worked on different things that seemed impossible to me at one time & now they feel natural & even simple, but it took alot of patience. A good example is down - ups on faster songs. Many years ago I felt like, this is impossible, there’s no way I can do this. Now it comes so natural, any other way feels odd & out of place. I’ve been working lately on down - down - ups & I’m still struggling with it, but in time it will come. I’m going to have to work harder on those push-offs.

Mike, start drinking black coffee in a mug & stop drinking tea in little cups with saucers. That will help with the pinky problem. :laughing: :laughing:

J.W.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I’ll start drinking coffee right away

now that was funny ! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I really think my real problem is ease of playing I tend to play the easiest way for me and that winds me up in trouble with the lessons . it is almost a torture to me to change my way of playing and maybe that is not entirely a bad thing . It tends to bring out the music in each of us and we have to admit trying to play like someone else is sort of futile any way . Sure use some of the tricks but remain true to yourself and your music . there are many ways to skin a cat, although I have no desire to do that .
I have come to the fact that you might as well play it your way, who knows maybe someone will want to emulate what it is you do.

I think that’s pretty normal (playing the way you normally play is easiest). Almost by definition, if we are trying to learn something, it’s different than what we have done in the past. I think learning from new things and putting them into my quiver is the whole reason I work from Ben’s vids. I may not ever be able to play any of Ben’s arrangements as well as he can, but my playing has grown from the trying.

For me the hardest part is just figuring out the initial fingerings and how they lay, once i get through the whole thing and figure it out it seems to come along fairly well. I have been on Whiskey B4 Breakfast for two weeks now and yesterday just got it all the way smooth but still not up to tempo, about half of the full speed.
On Double Eagle I had a bit of a problem to start as I have a hard time picking out the basic melody on this one when going through the tab, I am sure once I figure out all the fingerings it will come along ok. but that tune is in my head a certain way and much simplified as compared to Ben’s version so I guess that’s my problem.
I really like the way Ben arranges his tunes the only thing I wish is he would make a slower transition from speed 2 or 3 to the final speed. I have yet to get up to the top on any of them seems I need a speed just a little under the top and a little over the middle. But I keep at it, hopefully I’ll get there someday.
It just flat amazes me Ben can play guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle and piano all great,I am struggling with one! Could get a guy down…LOL. Jerry

— Begin quote from "Jerry M"

I really like the way Ben arranges his tunes the only thing I wish is he would make a slower transition from speed 2 or 3 to the final speed. I have yet to get up to the top on any of them seems I need a speed just a little under the top and a little over the middle. But I keep at it, hopefully I’ll get there someday.
It just flat amazes me Ben can play guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle and piano all great,I am struggling with one! Could get a guy down…LOL.

— End quote

I seldom play with the top speed versions either (they are typically smokin’ it), but that’s where Tabledit comes in real handy.

Regarding the fact that Ben is so talented: I agree his versatility and skill is fantastic. However, I guarantee that there are people who hear you play and are amazed at how good you are as well. It’s all relative… 99.something% of us players are better than some and worse than some. Once you get into the elite class of players, then it becomes just a matter of opinion (and I find most of those folks always have someone they look up to as well).

Yes on the above…just read a one liner, Habits are changed by going down steps…one at a time.