Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

OCMS Wagon Wheel

I have no idea what I’m doing. Seems like there are few OCMS fans on the board. Just listening to the song and trying to do a fingerstlye roll like I might play on a guitar. I think my D chord is off a little. Didn’t notice that while playin’.

Is this even close?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDondr3oK9o[/video]

Good to hear you play the banjo! That’s a great song. In another thread someone said everyone is playing that song. I was at Taco Casa the other night and I think I heard Darius Rucker (from Hootie and the Blowfish) singing it. I am no banjo player nor an OCMS expert, and I have only heard the song by OCMS a few times… but it sounds reasonable to me. I used to play in a band doing covers of popular rock songs, and things were different back then. We didn’t have youtube to watch the fingerings or tabs that were published prior to the record. Something would get popular, and we’d record it off the radio on a boom box or borrow it from someone who bought it and we’d sit down and play what we thought we heard. Often, we’d later find out we were wrong. We’d play phrases wrong, we’d play chord progressions wrong. On some songs we wouldn’t have a clue what was being said, so we were even making up lyrics that fit in the space. Others where we thought we knew what was being sung, we were still way off. My point isn’t that one shouldn’t try to learn things the right way, but rather… it sounds good to me, so until someone who knows the song better pipes in, let 'er rip.

Actually I was just looking for an excuse to have a nostalgic journey… I shed a few tears thinking about my old cassette boom box.

I was a little nervous posting a clip playin’ that song Mike. Some people love it, some people hate it. Almost like playin’ “Stairway” in the guitar store. :slight_smile:

I don’t know what it is about the song but I just thought I could follow it with some simple rolls. I haven’t looked at any tab on this one. Right or wrong it is pretty fun to play. My right hand position is horrible in that vid. My thumpick felt like it was about to slide off but I’m going to have to work on that claw thing I have going on.

As for me, I gotta say, it’s kind of catchy. I was singing it in the shower the day after my aforementioned trip to Taco Casa. Wifey walked in on me and was amused. I might have to succumb to the peer pressure and start playing it too. I know, I know: if everyone else jumps off a bridge…

Jump on in Mike, the water is fine! :laughing:

When I first heard it, I didn’t think the chorus sounded like it went with the song, the “rock me momma” part. I don’t know, it grows on ya.

Am I the only person that has a hard time not singing “like a hurricane” as opposed to “like a southbound train?”

Haha! Scorpians?

Oh yeah… the Scorp’s lead singer, Klaus Meine, seared those lyrics into my little teenage brain.

I forgot you had a banjo, Shawn. I’m no expert on banjo rolls, but it sounds close to my untrained ear.

— Begin quote from ____

When I first heard it, I didn’t think the chorus sounded like it went with the song, the “rock me momma”

— End quote

I read that Bob Dylan wrote the chorus in the 70’s and Ketch Secor wrote the verses 20 years later, so that probably explains it.

— Begin quote from ____

Am I the only person that has a hard time not singing “like a hurricane” as opposed to “like a southbound train?”

— End quote

I did this when I was first learning it, and so did my wife. Not because of the Scorpions :laughing: , but it just seems like “wind and rain” in one stanza fit with “hurricane” in the next.

I borrowed the banjo.

— Begin quote from "ldpayton"

I did this when I was first learning it, and so did my wife. Not because of the Scorpions :laughing: , but it just seems like “wind and rain” in one stanza fit with “hurricane” in the next.

— End quote

Ha! Yeah, that makes sense. I’ve never tried to sing with it. When Mike said that I immediately thought of the Scorpians song for some reason. I’m not all there sometimes. :laughing:

I think it sounds really good man! Nice job! I’ve thought so many times about doing this, just accompanying a random song that I like. I love the banjo but the problem is, I’m not all that up to snuff on bluegrass tunes. So maybe I need to adapt to what I do know. Could be fun?

Mike…there’s a Taco Casa here in AL I ADORE…I’m sure it’s different b/c this is a local joint. : )

Thought I’d resurrect this thread with a few Wagon Wheel lessons I’ve benefited from for those who aren’t violently opposed to it yet.

Great strum pattern with a little pickin: youtu.be/zSMUi5_Z6tc

Eddie Collins gives two breaks here - a simple one and a more embellished one - found in the Banjo Newsletter (a great publication!): banjonews.com/2015-05/wagon_wheel.html

Here’s a more advanced set of breaks (up the neck and down the neck) by Tom Adams via Banjo Newsletter: youtu.be/3TJPKAfxyEE

Good job!

First off, let me thank you.

I’ve been so tied up watching Ben’s videos and learning a song, I totally forgot what it was like to sit and just learn a song by ear(back in my guitar days). After watching your post, I found the “official” video on youtube and sat down and figgered out what chords they were first (chords I’ve been shying away from). Then I just let my fingers do what they want. Banjo is suppose to be, “do what you want” so you get your own version. So there is no right or wrong, so I’ve been told.

I had a blast, playing along with it today, over and over and over again Good thing the wife loves the tune…lol

My picking the song is different than yours. If I had the bravery you did, I’d film myself and post it. Even if I did work up the courage, I don’t know how to post.

thanks again for giving me the idea and giving me a wonderful day,(today) just having a blast with it. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Keep it up.

I wish I could take credit, but none of those videos or tabs are mine. They’re just different lessons I’ve benefited from.

I wish I could give you the credit bearded…I was reffering to the OP. LOL but I still love ya man, in a weird banjo kinda way

His video inspired me to just sit in front of youtube and figure it out.

Oops.

One day humanity will perfect this thing we call communication. Ha!

Where exactly you at in Montana? Might have to drop in for a visit