Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

O Holy Night (practicing for next year...!)

Heres 2020’s attempt at learning this wonderful arrangement… I know its rough & still got LOTS of stuff to work on & fix, but this is where I’m at for now.

The arpeggios are tuff to get clean without deadening the E string with your hand. In this video, I think they came out better the 2nd time thru the song. Ben said no set picking directions, HOWEVER, I’m PRETTY sure you’re not supposed to be doing the thumb-over fretting thing in measures 33, 45, & 48… :upside_down_face: The good news is I’ve got plenty of time to get this ready for next Christmas :grin:!!

@mike_thomson recently mentioned “No Fear” regarding working songs above your playing level, and I agree with him. This song is above my level, yet here we are, and I’ve had a lot of enjoyment just working on it! (To compare what this sounded like when I first started playing it - to now in this video, I’m feeling like I’ve won the lottery, yeah it was THAT rough :rofl::+1:t2::smiley::sunglasses:!)

Merry Christmas and a Blessed, Happy, Healthy, & Musical New Year to All! :slightly_smiling_face:

16 Likes

The song is certainly there Simone well done!

2 Likes

Excellent! And it will be even better next year. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @Simone, I hear it, If it is any consolation it took me about six - eight months to learn the banjo arrangement and it still wasn’t perfect when I uploaded it.

2 Likes

Great job @Simone, that ones on my learning list for next year, you’ll have it mastered by then. :+1:

1 Like

Really good! :+1:

1 Like

I like it. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

It’s slow, but it’s not easy!! Also, you played it like WAY faster than me :joy::joy::joy:Which means it’s harder…to me, anyway. You’re doing so great with your improvement!

3 Likes

That’s a major piece to accomplish…not “above you’re level” at all…just needs some fine tuning.

2 Likes

Certainly my sentiment’s as well @Fiddle_wood just needs a polish (Which is just time and repetition)

1 Like

Great picking!!

1 Like

Thank you @David-Gear! Will be polishing for sure!

1 Like

Thank you @Treblemaker ! Here’s to being hopeful :slightly_smiling_face:!

1 Like

Thank you @Archie ! Yeah, I think it’ll also take me months to get it where it needs to be, which is fine, I’m enjoying the ride! It took me months to get my part of the Emmanuel duet with Gunnar to the tone I was hoping for…

1 Like

Thank you @D_HRRFan7303 !
Can’t wait till you post us your version! Even if it isn’t till next Christmas!

3 Likes

Thank you @JohnM ! Glad you liked it!

3 Likes

Thank you @Stuart.Gamble !
Happy to hear you enjoyed it! Hows that “We Wish you a Merry Christmas” coming along??!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you @BanjoBen ! Appreciate that!
Definitely not easy, but enjoyable! Yes, admittedly I was going too fast… which I realized after seeing the video… Twas actually harder for me to get it slow like it was meant to be. Which is where all those pretty sounds come from…

1 Like

Thank you so much @Fiddle_wood !
I will definitely be working in the fine tuning department. If I can get it fine tuned this holiday season, then next Christmas I’ll just have to dust it off and do the little tweaks :grin:!

2 Likes

Thank you @Dragonslayer ! :sunglasses:

1 Like