Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Notes on the E and A string sounding dull, Martin D28

I recently bought a new Martin D28 Standard, and it was worth the expense. It’s a nearly perfect guitar, and I love it a little more every time I play it. Only one problem: I have noticed that when flatpicking on the E and A string, especially notes F, F#, G and A#, B and C, there is a noticeable lack of sustain. When placed alone, the E and A string sound just fine. When fretted, they lose sustain, almost to the point of sounding plunky, like the G string on a classical guitar. My instrument is brand-new, still with factory set-up. The action is pretty low. I’ve heard that the length of string can affect the sound, too. Or perhaps it’s how I’m fretting, though I doubt it. Do any other Martin owners out there have this problem?

2 Likes

That’s not a Martin problem, it’s a setup problem. The factory setup has changed and easily so. I bet the action is too low, killing the tone.

7 Likes

Thanks for responding so quickly. I will have the action raised. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ben,

I think I’m good to go now. Definitely pleased with the D-28.

I wanted to ask you for some advice on choosing a banjo. I’ve owned Deerings (Goodtime II and Americana) and Gold Tones (WL-250 and BC-350). Overall, I was more satisfied with the Deerings than the Gold Tones, though Gold Tones are much more affordable.

Looking ahead, I’d like to buy a new banjo sometime next year, in the $2500-$3000 price range. I like the old-school Gibson Mastertone sound, but a vintage instrument is probably out of my price range. I might be able to swing a used Deering Calico. What are your thoughts on those?

1 Like

I think you’re gonna be able to find some vintage Gibson’s in the $3k range, I think. They might not be all original, but you can find them. In fact, there’s a member here @Ol_Papa that has a 1964 RB250 that sounds pretty darn good! If you’re interested, shoot me a message and I’ll give you his number.

2 Likes