Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Not having the ability

I’d like to give Gold Rush a try. Where did you get those tabs? Thanks!

@seeligdan I can email it to you if you wanna give me your email : )

Soldier’s Joy :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Nice! Good job of keeping time.

1 Like

@Treblemaker thanks! Kinda lost it there for a bit but I was able to get back on track

Update:

Agh! I choked in the end :smile:! And it was the very last note too!

5 Likes

Good job Raymond. I wish I had a £1 for every time I choked. I would be a millionaire for sure by now.

1 Like

@Archie thank you! And yes , you’re absolutely right lol i’d probably be on my way to being one myself :laughing:

Really nice! Smooth and clean. Yeah, I never choke on the first note. Always has to be near the end. :smiley:

1 Like

Nice. It is getting more relaxed, smoother and more even. Good job!

1 Like

Thank you ! : ) I can definitely feel the smoothness as I play it as well .

@Mark_Rocka happens to me too when I think about the end of the song . I guess I need to be in the present and not get ahead of myself mentally : )

1 Like

Hi Raymond, Try playing through the ending, NOT the whole tune just the ending, practice it over and over for say 30 minutes… Take it real slow and focus on your fingering and picking pattern whilst listening to yourself. This helps the brain process your actions and helps you memorise things.

I used to have a real problem getting to the end of a tune because I spent all my time starting from the beginning every time I had a train wreck. As a consequence I became frustrated at my lack of progress simply because I wasn’t practicing the second half of the tune as much as the first part. It got to the stage where I could predict where I would crash out.

Now when I tackle a new tune I look thru the TAB to see where I am likely to crash out and work on those licks first before I begin to learn the tune.

Other times I have started with the ending a gradually worked through the TAB till I reach the beginning building onto what I have already learned so I always know what follows. I still crash out but not as often, my recovery rate has improved and I am having more success making it to the end. And that feels good.

Once I have learned the tune I set TablEdit to repeat and I just practice the tune over and over. Starting at a slow speed and gradually gaining speed in small increments.

What I have noted is that speed is the cause of most train wrecks, going too fast too soon causes excitement and the adrenaline starts pumping and the brain seems to lose control of the fingers actions and you begin to fumble.

It’s the same when you see that red light on camera for some folks panic kicks in and your heart starts beating faster and you find yourself panting as you play. I went thru a long period like that. In such cases you have got to learn ignore the red light and just relax and play.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Practicing this tune this afternoon : )

4 Likes

@Archie thanks so much for that tip and advice! I can definitely relate and learn from it. I actually had to read what you wrote more than once because there is a lot of value in it. Especially the last part where you mention about recording yourself. I still get a little anxious about that… but it’s like exposure therapy … the more you do it , the more comfortable you get with it .

Hi Raymond that sounded great Buddy. Your timing is good and It seems your more in control

1 Like

Sounded nice! Need to adjust the focus, though. Your face is kinda blurry. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@Mark_Rocka hahaha! :joy: thank you!

Me thinks he has someone else pulling the strings :joy::rofl::heart_eyes::sunglasses::yum::joy::sweat_smile::star_struck:

Coming at y’all with another tune :slight_smile:

2 Likes