Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

New web page

In 99.9% of cases, you should never need to touch DNS. Your ipad should get proper DNS settings from DHCP where it gets its IP address.

If it’s really running faster, that would indicate that Ben’s new site hasn’t propagated to your default DNS server and the site is taking a long time to load because some secondary DNS server is resolving the address for you.

Technically, there’s nothing wrong with using Google’s DNS servers (8.8.8.8) but it’s extremely rare to have to do so.

I’m an IT consultant by trade, so if you need some help with this, please feel free to reach out.

@Gazfoot, I had one user here in the States that had to call their ISP and talk with them about my site. The ISP itself was blocking the domain for “spoofing.” They unblocked it and it started working great. @Mark_Rocka, does that even make sense?

Will give it a shot . Worth a try

It makes sense, but that’s extremely rare. I’ll check in to it and let you know.

OK, I just used 2 of the most popular tools to check your domain… Both of them said everything was fine.

My best guess regarding the spoofing issue is that that specific ISP probably blocked your new site when the switch took place because www.banjobenclark.com was suddenly going to a different IP address and their servers hadn’t received the updated DNS information. They probably have older software that doesn’t go back to check blocked sites against current DNS records, so once the site is blocked, someone has to manually remove it from the blocked list.

It might explain @Gazfoot’s case, especially if one of his ISP’s DNS servers was referencing the blocked site list but a secondary DNS server was not.

3 Likes

I haven’t tried posting a video yet, but creating a shareable link using Google One Drive may be another option. I’ll try doing that tonight or tomorrow and post the results.

Jack

Ben & Mark if I can jump in here, When the site was going live I recieved some error messages about the new site being unsafe. It had to do with the Security Certificate not being valid. Perhaps this is the reason an ISP might put a block on your site.

That is another possibility. I had forgotten about that, and saw the same thing. For the first few hours, the security certificate either wasn’t in place at the new site or was otherwise not set correctly (I think because “www.banjobenclark.com” wasn’t truncating the URL to “banjobenclark.com” and that’s what the certificate was issued to.) That was resolved in short order, but I suppose that makes just as much sense as a DNS issue.

The certificate on this site is different from pretty much every other site I’ve ever seen. I just went and looked at some big name sites to compare (Google, Guitar Center, Yahoo, Chase, Capital One) and Ben’s site is different, though I don’t think it’s causing any problems now.

I agree, I don’t think it’s causing any problems now either.

Video test using Google Drive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DeFRsve8VrbZ_nFDv3DLGfoqO3zMTMOc

Nope…Back to the drawing board.

Test 2

1 Like

hehe sorry you got my attention :open_mouth: its working tho

1 Like

Contacted my isp they said it’s not blocked . Still slow . None of those tests above seem to work first video doesn’t load second one either !

ISP wants me to do a tracert. ?

I can help you over Remote Desktop if you want. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested. We’ll get it figured out.

1 Like

Mark, thank you for any help you can give @Gazfoot. I’m sorry about this, but I have no idea what it could be.

thanks but i managed to do a cert and sent a copy to my isp
dont know what it means but theres about 28 lines on there .

theres lots of numbers and stuff between lines 1 to 16 then 16 to 26 of requests times out ?

Any chance you could copy and paste those tracert results here?