Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

New web page

Thankyou Ben . Just teething troubles . It’s to be expected.

I’m glad its not just me. The new site is so slow that I won’t use it. Makes me sad, I’ve been a regular for 4+ years until now. :frowning:

I’m Jim G from MA , last post used my gmail address.

Hey Jim, sorry to hear that. Can you please send me a message through the site’s help page and give me as many details as you can about the sluggish behavior? Also, I need to know what device and browser version you’re using, as well as if you’ve used any other devices or browsers. If you haven’t tested with others, I’m gonna need you to do that.

Ben it is okay on my work PC, using Firefox. But mostly I visit using my iPhone. The site is unusable there.

Okay, please see last reply I made and send me the details, please.

Okay I’ll do that tomorrow at work. This forum at the moment is okay, but I hate typing on a phone .

1 Like

Ben I’ll test IE, Chrome, Firefox from my Windows 10 system tomorrow. If I have time I’ll run down a Mac and try Safari and Firefox on it too (although I’ve heard Firefox on a Mac is just a thin wrapper on top of Safari).

And finally, Safari on my iPhone. It’s a 5 with only 8g, but still, the old site worked great on it.

Thanks so much! However, this site is quite larger and more robust than the last.

Okay Ben, it’s 6:30 am EDT. I’m running Windows 10.

My test:

1. Hit the home page

2. Jump over to Mandolin

3. Drill into a lesson

4. Go over to Guitar

5. Drill into another lesson.

6. Go to the forums

7. Chrome 61 - by a noticeable amount this had the best performance. Each step there was at worst a very quick spinning wheel, but hitting the instrument specific pages, it was near instant response.

8. Firefox 56 - second best. Each step, I had the spinning wheel while the site pulled itself together, but it was never more than 1 or 2 seconds. I could live with it if I had to.

9. IE 11 - the worst of the three, by far. I didn’t even bother using Edge, that’s slow with everything everywhere anyway. The lags here were in the 5-6 second range.

For all of the above, I’m on a laptop that’s on wired network with a very fast connection out. I probably should try it all again from home using our ISP and WIFI. I’ll try, but we’re heading out on a 2 week long trip to Europe so I might not get to it.

I also tried my iPhone 5 and whatever the version of Safari is. It’s roughly equivalent to the response I was seeing with IE above. But I am using WIFI here. A better WIFI than at home, with a better connection on the other side of the WIFI router than I get at home.

So from home, with iPhone, it’s about a 10 second delay in painting screens. I hope the PC from home, using Chrome, works similar to what I’m seeing right now. I can definitely work with that.

HTH, Jim G from MA

Looks very nice. It’s giving my ipad fits at the moment. I’ll probably need a training course to get all of the utility out of the site. :wink:

1 Like

When I got on the site a few day ago it was very slow and sluggish. Through some sort of Banjo Ben wizardry it is working very well now for me. I am on windows 7 Pro and using Chrome. That being said I love the new site so far.

1 Like

I repeated my tests at home, on another laptop Windows 10. The main difference between here and work is that I’m using wifi here at home instead of a wired connection. All 3 browsers are in pretty good shape. The iPhone still sluggish.

Thank you so much for your feedback! Y’all too, @Danl1 @emaildean

Love the new website. It’s been a while since I logged on and the new format takes so much less time to do everything. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Been nearly 20 days and the site is still incredibly slow for me . Other site load in an instant this site ???
It’s a mystery

I have noticed that the new site takes longer on my old desktop than my new one and my mobile devices.

Are you still on your iPad? If so, have you tried a different browser to see if that makes any difference?

Yes nothing working . Weird as no other site has this problem

I just changed the dns setting in my iPad to 8.8.8.8 seems to be running a bit faster now . Don’t know what I’m really doing with dns stuff !

Hey Gareth, I don’t know anything about iPads, but if it was a PC I would be checking the status of my free memory, deleting redundant files and apps, clearing out my cache, checking my broadband connection. The various main instrument pages are slow to load due to the amount of content they have to load each time you access these pages but once you select Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced these pages load a lot faster. Once you select the lesson of your choice the page should load as normal. I guess what I am trying to say is the problems your experience may be in part down to your device and or your internet connection. I will say that the site is running a lot better than it was at launch week but I agree that there is room for improvement.