Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

New Lesson

I’m thinking “Squirrel Hunter” would be a great new lesson on guitar and mandolin. Thoughts???

6 Likes

Pretty sure that one is still copyrighted cuz Hartford wrote it, and he’s not that far historiacal.

Hmmm, I don’t know. I may be good to go! Check out what’s written here: https://www.fiddlehangout.com/archive/45517

SQUIRREL HUNTERS , THE. AKA ‑ “Squirrel Hunting.” AKA and see “The Bell Cow [2]” (Pa.), “Dilly’s Favorite” (Pa.), “Jenny Put the Kettle On (We’ll All Take Tea) [3]” (Pa.), “N…r in/on the Woodpile [1]" (Pa.), "Old Common Time” (Pa.), “The Pennsylvania Quickstep [2]” (Pa.). American, March (2/4 time). USA, southwestern Pa. D Major. Standard tuning. AB. This tune was known in Pennsylvania primarily as a fife “stop‑beat” piece, though Bayard has identified it as a member of “one of the most widespread and ramifying of our British Isles melodic families.” This very old tune family has innumberable variants and forms in most of the commonly used folk modes, in quick and slow tempi, and in 2/4, 4/4, 6/8, and 3/4 time, and all resembling each other to the extent that family traits are confirmed yet seemingly not enough to differentiate clear classes and subgroups. Bayard, arbitrarily he admits, has assigned the nomen “Welcome Home” to this family from one of its member Irish airs. He lists a few of the recurrent old‑country titles of members of this melodic complex: “The Oyster Wife’s/Wives’ Rant,” “The Haughs of Cromdale,” “Wate You How the Play Began,” “The Hillside [2],” “Welcome Home [3],” and “(Fare Thee Well) Sweet Killaloe,” and in his note to this tune he cites numerous other references. See also note for “Dan Friend’s Piece.” Sources for notated versions: nine southwestern Pa. fifers and fiddlers [Bayard]. Bayard ( Dance to the Fiddle ), 1981; No. 220A‑I, pgs. 174‑177. Rounder CD 0392, John Hartford - “Wild Hog in the Brush and a Bunch of Others You Might Not Have Heard” (1996).

1 Like